lidowho

San Francisco Basic Help

Hi all!  I'm new to this forum.  Actually I'm new to vinyl cutters.  I just discovered their existence last week by accident while searching for something completely different.  After my mind stopped reeling from the possibilities of what I could do with this kind of machine, I quickly snatched up a Graphtec CE5000 from US Cutter.  It was delivered to me yesterday.  I set up the machine and have been attempting to plot something, with no luck (thought I'd print to test it out before cutting).  It's frustrating because I've read the instructions and am pretty sure it's all setup correctly.  But after reading the manual, I realize I don't know any of the basic language and terms of use for this type of machine.

I'm an artist in the San Francisco Bay area.  I've been paying people a million dollars to make vector files and stencils for me and then waiting months for them to complete the job.  I should be able to do all of this, and more, myself now.  However, other than viewing every UTube video on vinyl cutters, I have never seen these machines in action.  The user manual is for technical information and is lacking descriptions of the various functions.  I'd love to see the machine in action and get some very basic information on the use of cutters.  I don't mind experimenting to do my own projects, but the basics...  Does anyone know of a good book or video to show me the language and descriptions of functions for these machines?  Is anyone out there from the SF Bay Area that I could visit to look over their shoulder and see the machine in action?  Or is someone out there interested in showing me how to use my own machine.  I will, of course, pay for their services.  I'm good with computers and learn quickly.

Thanks!  Lido

Wow Ken, I don't know how I missed that part of their website, but it looks like exactly what I need!  Thanks!!

Guest Terry

Wish I lived near you, I would have come over for free, I love the Graphtec. So will you, dead silent, dead accurate.  :police: you bought a GREAT cutter at a GREAT price, no better value than what you found. Soon as I find another job I enjoy I will be buying a new one, I own an old one. :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm unbelievably excited about my new machine!  I've got my eye on that flatbed version though.  Maybe when my ship comes in....

I've watched a couple of quick videos and it looks like I didn't properly prepare the file in Illustrator.  The videos should put me on the right path and get me started.  SO exciting!

Yep, I'm unbelievably excited about my new machine!  I've got my eye on that flatbed version though.  Maybe when my ship comes in....

I've watched a couple of quick videos and it looks like I didn't properly prepare the file in Illustrator.  The videos should put me on the right path and get me started.  SO exciting!

Got Graphtec tech support on the line now.....so I will probably call you with an update soon.

I made 2 rookie mistakes in setting up my cutter:

I should have searched the Graphtec website more for setup instructions not included in the box. Late last night I found the technical notes page on the Graphtec site for working with their Windows Graphtec driver.  It stated in one of the documents that the cutter default is HP-GL, which was one of my errors through out the last couple of days.  I changed it to GP-GL and the resolution to 1016 pts/inch (or .25mm) per their instructions.  The instructions also said to change the settings in the windows printer settings.  I found the resolution options in the printing preferences menu (not printing properties menu).

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/CPtechnotes.html

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/CPtechnotes/tnc009.html

I assumed....that it would be easy to take my logo file, which I believed to be a properly prepared vector file to test the machine.  I didn't want to mess with Illustrator and thought it would be "easy" to use this file.  Still unable to get the cutter to work this morning, I called Graphtec.  They suggested I create a new file with just a rectangle to see if it would print properly.  After changing the settings last night to GP-GL, it printed perfectly.  I know better than to fight with a file of any type for too long without trying a stripped down file to see if it's the document.  ARGH!

One last thing.  I watched a few of the Graphtec how to videos.  There's great information there.  But most of the videos are demonstrating on a FC7000 cutter so there are features that are not available on other machines.  One of the features I was interested in was setting the the cutter to look to the software for control.  You can do this on the 7000 cutter itself, but I didn't find it on the 5000.  I did find it in the Cutting Plotter Controller screen of the software.

Hopefully this will help the next rookie looking to setup their cutter.  I think I'm good to go now with the above issues resolved.  Thanks again for the help!