Sign in to follow this  
squirrel

use for making sandblast stencils

WOW, talked with a rep for these ebay plotter cutters.  Need more info. My wife is looking for a plotter/cutter for a new business doing engraving,sandblasting,etching.  Probably at least a 25 to 50 inch machine.  I understand I can run smaller material thru either one if need be.  He suggested the copam over the others for this. Optical eye seems to be a bonus.  Not sure of material she will or should use.  Doing mirrors, ostrich and other eggs, glass, wood, etc.  Need the stencils for these projects.  Can anyone help us with info on this.  Also do these machines come with the software and hardware to hook up to her home computer and where can we get stencil programs or ideas for her artwork.  Can she design her own?  Alot of questions and we thank you for the time you give us.

Brad and Sam

She would be able to design her own using a graphics program. Then she could import the file to the cutting program to cut out the stencil board. Not sure if there is an actual Stencil program available, but with a graphics program and the cutting program, she would be able to do what she desires.

I have a Jet Stream II sandblast engraver and bought a Compam25" specifically to cut stencils.  I have etched glass, mirrors, and steel.  I use a removable vinyl by Oracal.  It is Oracal 631 available from Fellers or Sign Wharehouse.  If you can etch in reverse on glass.  It looks better.  Same goes for mirrors.  When cleaning up mirrors be very careful removing the stencil as it can lift the silver off the edges of your etch and leave a ragged edge.  I personally recommend leaving the stencil on if it will be hidden.  Simply  wash the project with running water and blot dry.  BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE ABRASIVES!  I've botched stuff by rubbing it and the fine dust scratches the project.  Have Fun!!!

I design my stencils in Corel Draw X3 and cut them with Sign Tools 3 which integrates right with Corel.  I had bad luck with Sign Cut but that may be because I don't have internet access at home!  Sorry US Cutter, Sign Tools is better for ME!!! :)