Sign in to follow this  
Josh623

Stencil film recommendation for small font/lettering?

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for stencil film/paint mask that is high tac that would work for small fonts (1/4" or so). So far I have tried Vmask and Gerber Mask II. The GM II works better than the vmask but on things like O's that have a center piece in them, it is very difficult when weeding. I can actually weed it alright, but the issue comes in on what I am using the film for. I am using it to acid etch metal, and I can't have any etchant (which is very mild) leak up under the stencil film, so it needs to stick really well. 

Have you tried cast vinyl? i.e. Oracal 751? Very thin - quality high tack.

• Like 1

I do a lot of small stenciling with Oramask 810. It's low tack and not the answer you're looking for but.........I have a workaround for small letters that might work for you.

I simply cut a second copy of the stencil and apply the knockouts of the letters as a second operation. you will need to include some sort of registration marks to do it this way. 

So, basically, you have one stencil with the lettering weeded out (including the knockouts) and a second stencil with the letters weeded out and the knockouts left behind. Apply the first stencil then align the second and drop the knockouts in place.