Sign in to follow this  
dcbevins

Cutting Rhinestone Template.

I have never done a rhinestone transfer and would like to try it out.

I have a cutter.  I have some template material.  I did some tests cuts on it and the machine can cut through it well enough, and I can weed it.  I have some ss10, ss16 and ss30 stones.  I don't have any Rhinestone design software, but I can use CorelDraw well enough to do some basic designs.  If I can test and the whole thing seems viable I might invest in some rstone software.

What I don't have is a clear understanding of what size to set my circles I use in the designs in CorelDraw for each type of stone, (ss10, ss16, ect.)  When I look online there are multiple suggestions and it seems no definitive guide to cutting sizes.  

Does anyone have a chart or know a resource that would show me the best cutting size for each stone?  I don't even have a good starting point for plain ole trial and error.

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/groups/401615033293239/

is a awesome group on facebook all about Rhinestone and a lot of nice people!

If you have Sure Cuts Alot .. it has a Rhinestone software built into it.

http://www.rstones.ru/

is what i use it's a macro for Coral Draw i paid like $50 for the macro not sure what it is now  it was easy

I get all my Rhinestone stones from

http://customrhinestonedesign.com/

cause she is local and a nice lady! :)

Stone_Sizer.svg

when doing rhinestones you need to use a 60* blade. I use scalp for my rhinestones designs or buy from the rhinestone world. they have free files also.

I have 60 degree blades.  I have already done test cuts.  So that is a go.  I've been looking at rstones and drawstones macros for CorelDraw.  Surely they would be useful.  But for now I can do them by hand in CorelDraw with heavy use of Blend along path and duplicate and repeat. I also have some rhinestone ready fonts.   As this is all just testing, and I can do the designs manually, the fancy software can wait awhile.

SeeJaysPlace, that is close too the information I seek..  Equating those sizes to the ss numbering of stones is missing.  It does help to illustrate the problem I find.  Various sources differ sligtly in the stones sizes, like here:

rhinestone-size-chart.jpg

That is just one example.  The variations are small.  But like a carpenter I want to measure twice cut once.  Errors happen when cutting, but it makes me want to pull my hair out.   I also have a limited amount of stones for trial.  I am just trying to nail it before hand. 

I am also not sure if I should set the vector circles to those exact sizes, or grow them a tiny amount to allow for the stones to drop in easier when brushing.  My test cuts suggested growing them a micro amount helped in brushing.

On a side note, this site:  http://www.synergy17.com/index.html  offers a free rhinestone font on the 17th of each month.  It is only up on the site on that day.  I have it as a notice in google calendar.  Not that I am far enough along to use many of them yet, but I thought I'd pass it along.

• Like 1

After dickering around some I've found some suggestions:

"We add .4mm to every stone size for example:

ss6 2.1mm we cut at 2.5mm
ss10 2.8mm we cut at 3.2mm
ss16 4.0mm we cut at 4.4mm"

"As a general rule of thumb, I use 3 sizes up to cut my templates. So for 6SS I design and cut 9SS and 10SS I use 13SS."

"HIya,I have been using SS10 stones from shine art.According to thier catalog they are 2.7mm-2.9mm.When I design I use 3.49mm to cut my circles and have no problems."

All this just leaves me more confused.  It is looking like in the end I am going to have to cut test templates for each batch of stones I get and do a brush test.  Rinse, brush repeat until I find the right cutting size.  If I don't limit myself to one supplier, there is a good chance there are going to be size differences.

Do all the specialty macro's and software out there include the actual size of the stone or do they add to the diameter of the stone to allow for easy brushing?  Is it a case of having to select a stone 2-3 times up the ss scale when using those macro's.  With DAS Stonecut Pro, TRW Stone Wizard, Rstones, drawstones, winpcsign, and OOBling Pro and pricing all over the board from $40 to over $700 I just am cross eyed.

Anybody got a good rule of thumb for setting the dimensions of the circles for ss sized stones for easy brushing?

• Like 1