Sign in to follow this  
lablover

Press came....Time to play

Broke down and bought the UScutter swing arm press some recommended here.  Fired that baby up and watched the room light s dim...I think this thing could use a dedicated circuit!

Anyway, cut a few sheets of Siser easy and played with some old t shirts.  Learned a few things the hard way...One time I cut on the shiny side in the cutter..Yea, that was dumb.

I'm trying to figure out the right pressure.  I think at first I was using way too much and honestly I'm afraid to break this thing.  I read here that someone suggest using a sheet of paper until you just can't pull it out.  If I do it that way I for sure had it set with way too much pressure.

I'd like to set the machine at 325 and 15 sec, pull the off the clear backing and hit it again.  I used a teflon sheet but didn't want to use it after I pulled the backer off.  Is it ok?  Or should I get a separate piece of parchment to hit it again?  I don't want to gum up my teflon sheet.

I'd like to give the decal a more dull look or more textured.  I'm all ears for what people use to apply different "feel" to the HTV.

Also, I'm sure extension cords are a nono right?

Any suggestions on work area as well for this baby.  I'm thinking cabinet on casters...This thing needs some room to swing all the way open

Man I can tell this thing is gonna be a riot....wooohoooooo

Joe

no extension cords for sure and make sure your circuit and wiring can handle the 20 amps - repressing with the teflon is fine I do it on every press.    remember that if you are doing sublimation to use disposable paper like butcher paper top and bottom to catch that gassed ink so it doesn't end up on your press or teflon sheet - 

• Like 2

Well, I did a few shirts today and I think the came out OK.  I tried to pick the HTV off one shirt and that was a no go.  Next step is to run them thru the wash.  I backed the pressure way off because I think I was about to break the darn thing.  Almost took two hands to un clamp it.  I gotta think thats way too much.  I can see the material faintly thru the HTV so I think I'm good.  I hit it at 310 for 15 sec, took of the backing and then hit it again with the teflon sheet for another 15 sec.  Might crank the heat up

Question, Is it normal for a colored shirt say red to turn darker red where you pressed it?  Seems to go away after awhile

Joe

Make sure you pre press to remove moisture first. That is what the color Cham

Nor you noticed was, the part moisture had been removed from and the part that wasnt

• Like 1

dakotagrafx I have used the Teflon with pigment ink for dark colors. I could see the big spot on the Teflon and the next time I tried it with Teflon It pretty much gummed up on my 3rd press. Is that what it does? Sorry if I'm confusing you again. But I'm just learning this new pigment and sublimation pressing.

I need to try and find a temperature list so I can get the heat right. One thing I have vinyl cutting down pretty good.

dakotagrafx I have used the Teflon with pigment ink for dark colors. I could see the big spot on the Teflon and the next time I tried it with Teflon It pretty much gummed up on my 3rd press. Is that what it does? Sorry if I'm confusing you again. But I'm just learning this new pigment and sublimation pressing.I need to try and find a temperature list so I can get the heat right. One thing I have vinyl cutting down pretty good.

What kind of Teflon sheet will gum up? What transfer paper did you use for the darks that left any kind of residue on the back side? With sublimation always use disposable butcher paper and trow away after every pressing

it was pigment ink for dark colored shirts. I got it from corba ink. the picture gummed up when I pulled the Teflon off.
but what kind of transfer paper did you use? Like 3G opaque, etc

The ink nor Teflon could gum up so it must be whatever transfer paper you are using . . .

Sorry Jss transfer paper for white sorry to confuse you again not dark . it gummed up and was really sticky pulling off. And it sure messed it up. But I use Teflon over top and press 2 shirts pretty good but the 3rd was a mess. So could it be the Teflon? Doing it?

Ok it has a paper backing and I have never had one be sticky. Check . . . Where did you get the joss . . . Is it legit Neenah product? Have you checked your press temp with an ir thermometer? . . . Teflon sheet if it is one made for garment pressing is not your problem. Just to clairify you didn't get a silicone sheet from the baking isle did you? I gotta get a drink be back in a bit?

I got the Teflon sheet from uscutter. And the jpss transfer paper from Corba Ink. I used CIS pigment ink from Corba. First 2 pictures printed good and pressed pretty good. Checked heat at 375 with IR temp gun 3rd printed like the other 2. Put on press covered with the Teflon sheet press 25 second and when I hot pulled the backing of it off was gummy and pulled parts of the picture up.

The 2 things that come to my mind is first check your heat press temp with an ir thermometer to make sure the temps are correct. Second I would reduce the temp. JPSS I am pretty sure presses at 350 to 375 so dropping 10 - 15 degrees won't hurt. Seams like I pressed my last ones aroun 355. . . Been a while though

Dakota nailed it with the heat being too high. Drop 10 degres at a time until that stops. The reason it took until your 3rd press to show is that the lower platen sucks up some on the heat until it gets thoroughly warmed and then it all goes into the shirt.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help figuring this out. Will try again later today. Is there any place to get a cheap sheet for temps for things like inkjet printed shirts and sublimation temps?

The inkjet transfers use different temps and is usually included on a sheet included with them. On the sublimation check where you get the items, usually they list the temp for each item

Thank You guy's that was the problem. To much heat cooled it down and its working good. Now to try my hand at sublimation. On my sublimation print. Thanks again.

WOW, that was the ultimate HiJack!

LOL. no worries..we all got an answer...and I learned a little about Sublimation

I'll release the thread for $1,000,000 and a plane to take me someplace warm. If my demands are not met I start deleting posts. ;D

I'll release the thread for $1,000,000 and a plane to take me someplace warm. If my demands are not met I start deleting posts. ;D

LOL

Thats a good one.  I actually started looking into sublimation after reading a few things here.  So if anything I can blame you all for getting me hooked on yet another thing!!!

I gotta say its pretty interesting stuff.......  "Oh honey, my christmas list just grew"!!