MadHatterGraphix

Kickstarter for Business?

Ok I thought I posted this earlier in the year but I don't see it so I must not have. Anywho as you all know I'm getting hardcore into Glass etching, and the likes and I found the set up to make half tone etches and lets face it, its just faster to create stencils for sandblasting. Now my question is would it be wise to create a kickstarter to buy the tools to do it? I would use money coming in but it slowly stopped and I bought products that aren't returnable also it would cost more to ship back. Any ideas?

I don't know what half tones are, but when I want to do something that will cost what I work so hard to earn, I start a fund and only a percentage of my income that won't be missed goes toward it until I am comfortable with the purchase.  Patience is difficult...  I only purchase things I can either get my money back in full if it doesn't work out by selling it or can earn it back with the item.  That's why I bought top of the line equipment because the resale is good.

Your etchings are beautiful and it seems to be a passion for you to create and develop new ideas.  We knew a guy who etched custom designs for glass doors, windows, room dividers and back splashes.  He got in with some archetiects, contractors and designers and eventually had a back log of business.  He used a large blaster that looked like a vaccum hose (spelling?)  I also see a lot of etching in restaurants and professional offices.  Something like this would make a lot of money FAST. 

From your postings, you seem to be an enthusiastic guy who challenges himself to be better with each project and wants to continually try new things. 

Just a thought.

Look forward to seeing what you do next!

Martin I have toyed with a couple of half tones, It is nice to be able to add photos on glass and stone. There are a couple of things on you tube to help.

Here are a couple of sites to help get you started. https://ikonicsimaging.com/wp/ they have a product called rapid mask hd that is good for half tones

also http://www.rayzist.com/Assets/PDFs/Phototechniquesv1.1.pdf. Rayzist has one called sr3000 that I use on detailed art. It is a wash out film.

There is also a plugin for Corel and Photoshop called Half-wiz that is for doing half tones. Hope that is not to much info. On the glass site I told you about there is a section on half tones

There is someone that sets up at the West Virginia state fair that blast stones from small to the size of a small car. They do lettering , images and logos and then color them in. I belive that would be a very good market to get into i am sure not too many is doing that type of work.