Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

SignCut compatibility is spoiling me on my mac!

So I have ran SignCut for years now and with my old cutter I always just cut from a windows laptop at the cutter and designed on my iMac in illustrator. Well I have since upgraded my cutter to a Summa and decided this year I would buy the dongle so I can have access to SignCut from either computer in case the windows crashes which it seems to do every once in a while. So up until now I have not used the SignCut plug-in in Illustrator. Now that I have it hooked to my computer directly instead of transferring files over by a thumb drive I am finding there are a whole slew of other features I have been missing out on! For instance, when hooked up direct I don't have to convert text to outlines. Nice! Also will cut right from my current version of AI rather than having to downsave to version 8. This may have been an option for quite a while but I just figured out that you don't have to do the downsave thing all the time which was an extra step and often a whole second file that I had to try to keep track of in my computer. Really loving the mac compatibility which was something that I was unable to find in almost any other cutting utility out there. Really happy with SignCut Pro and the support they give.

I just started doing this back in November when I upgraded to Adobe CC and treated myself to a 27" iMac.  I was cutting fine off my 15" Macbook pro but did not use the Illustrator plug in with CS5 so I had to save down to an EPS 3 file and drag into Signcut every time I wanted to cut.  The plug in sure does spoil one and now capabilities are pretty much endless.  I still prefer to downgrade files to EPS 3 that I know I will be cutting time and time again just for the fact that I won't have to open in Illustrator each time first.  I havn't tried opening a newer EPS with my updated version of sign cut yet...I know in the past it would always shift layers and invert colors to where it completely changes the design before I begin cutting. 

Ya I have always saved to AI 8 and that was the norm back when I started using it.

I think the program is converting the newer versions to an older one that it likes better.