Sign in to follow this  
raidertek

signcut pro vs sure cut alot

I have both. My P-Cut came with the SignCut Pro but I got tired of paying a subscription so I jumped on the SCALP for $50 deal they had early on. I I am ok with SCALP as a cutting utility but it is lacking some key aspects that the tech support guys said they would get integrated sometime this summer. (not as of yet). I have since bought a new cutter and was not happy with the factory cutting tools and have ended up back with SignCut Pro. I may just go ahead and buy the dongle so I can stop making subscription payments. SCALP won't work with my new cutter and I kind of have it planned to keep with my old cutter as a back-up system or I may sell it off.

My opinion is if you are just cutting smaller stuff SCALP is a decent cutting tool but not a very great design tool. SignCut is a good cutting tool and almost no design ability. Advantage of SignCut for cheap cutters is it has step-by-step cutting that will help get through long cuts on machines that don't track very good. It also does tiling and cut by color real easily. SCALP works and does have cut by color but often files import wrong and don't have the color layers you built them with. SCALP will accept native AI files in current versions rather than downsaving them to illustrator 8 which SignCut requires. If SCALP will eventually get the tiling and step-by-step cutting they would be pretty close to par.

Option #3. Flexi starter. It cuts well and has more cutting options that scalp very similar to the functions of signcut pro without the subscription fees. As a bonus it has at least some design functions which after trying scalp is an improvement over scalp. I know of 1 person right now that is having issues with flexi and a SC cutter. I use it with my graphtec and my Laserpoint 2 no problem