ddprinting

Help with 2 color design

I've spent hours reading info on the forum and all you guys are super helpful but I have a quick question.  I got my cutter a couple years ago mainly to cut single color boat registration numbers but have recently been experimenting with shadowing and multiple colors and have a question of how I make a shadow like the one in the pic.  The outline is now problem but I'm having a hard time figuring out the shadow one the word "RED".  Any advice would be appreciated.  Everytime I try a shadow it does all of the letters and not just the top right side.  I'm sure its something simple but I'm new to anything besides single color basic lettering and it is frustrating.  BTW I'm using SignBlazer, I have Inkscape but have very little to no time with it. 

post-19960-0-20174500-1372308210_thumb.j

Have you found a font that matches this yet? 

It looks to me that the shadow was either custom made with shapes or it was altered to add the red line in between the letter face and shadow. This could be a pain to recreate especially if you are trying to use a standard shadow effect on a font approach. 

Find the font and I will give it a shot.

Have you found a font that matches this yet? 

It looks to me that the shadow was either custom made with shapes or it was altered to add the red line in between the letter face and shadow. This could be a pain to recreate especially if you are trying to use a standard shadow effect on a font approach. 

Find the font and I will give it a shot.

The fonts appear to be "brush script" and "arial"...

Jay2703 will probably be on in  a few hours, he will tell you how to do it.

• Like 1

That effect is more of a 3D effect than a shadow. I'd look into 3D effects with your software to see if you can get the look you want.

I'm going to check out SignBlazer and see if there is some option for a 3D option.  If there isn't is this something you guys would just draw out by hand???

Two steps

Outline the font with an offset

Create the shadow.

I can make a video when I get home.

Here's what I did in SignBlazer

http://screencast.com/t/L9EfnwosXc

Adjust the kerning of the text to get some space between the letters (Node Edit)

Outline the text with an offset equal to the thickness (this will require playing with different settings to get the look you want)

Select the outline and create your shadow from it

Outline the first outline with no offset this time

Select the Outline and the shadow

Arrange + Weld + Punch Through

Delete the second outline (This gives the space between the outline and the shadow)

Change your colors to what you want them to be.

Tip:  Right click in the color bar allows you to select elements by color

• Like 1

Thanks, Jay2703.  I just watched your video and am going to play around with what I need and should be able to figure it out.  You guys are awesome and thanks for all your help.  I'm basically new to all of this because all I've done is single color but I'm trying new things now so I'm sure I will be back with more questions.   Thanks again for the help!!!

• Like 1

Jay2703,

Your video's are so very helpful.  Thank you.  I am very visual, and each of those you have done in the past,

have given me an expanded bit of knowledge in the use of signblazer.

• Like 1

Yes Jay I agree 100% of what Smokem said, Just great helpful video tutorials, I believe I have learned something from about all of them I have watched. Thanks for Your Knowledge and sharing!

• Like 1

I can read about how to do something all day long and not absorb as much info as watching a 1 minute video on it. Mark me down as a visual leaner. 

Thanks Jay, I have read tons of your post and watch your videos and they are always helpful.  Thanks for everything, I'm sure I will be back later.  Thanks again!

• Like 1