dennismc42

Issues applying vinyl to drum head.

I had a customer want a custom print made for them to put on their drum head. Since I dont to vinly printing, it was a very detailed and colorful pic. I sub'd it out to my local sign guy, been doing it 30 years, and really good.

So I get the file to him, (only had a jpg but in cymk)

Pick up finished print today, and proced to install Notice that the black isnt black on the print, as it is inthe pic.

He used a clear laminate transfer tape over it.

When I went to remove it, it was  bear! Vinyl would pull back from the head, massive air bubbles, etc.

Now I have a ruined head that I have to replace and redo the print to install on the new one.

is there a better laminate transfer tape that i should have him use? The vinyl was Orajet doesnt have a number on it though

One, Oracal products are garbage.  Two, a drum head decal seems like it not only would affect the sound of the drum in an undesired way, and would get the sh*t beat out of it in no time.  Three, some surfaces just won't take.  Four, some projects you just have to say no to.  Five, I would have started this job by making them sign a waiver stating you've told them the risks of damage to the head and they are willing to accept liability and risk.  Six, if you still want to make this happen, use the lightest tack application tape you can find.  I'm not sure what "clear laminate transfer tape" means but assuming it's just clear application/transfer tape, those are usually higher tack than their paper counterparts.  It also sounds like your guy botched the printing with the black parts - he should reprint assuming the problem was with him and not in your file.  If all that's wrong with the head is adhesive on it...you should be able to remove that.  Try different substances.  It's better than paying for a drum head.  If it's a digital printed graphic on orajet, it should have been printed, then laminated THEN put application tape on it.  It sounds like you might have tried to pull the lamination off the graphic...which is bad.  Again, Oracal sucks - I don't care what their marketing material says.

Are you talking about the bass drum head that is visible by an audience and not the surface that is struck? I think we should make sure we are talking about the same things here (application tape, if it was laminated, what was wrong with the drum after you removed the vinyl). I think it is a great niche to get into and there are a lot of people offering these but getting things figured out is important prior to doing the first one. I hate to turn down work but for things like this that I am unsure about I will tell them upfront that I will have to look into it. 

Ok After reading the above. It seems as I might have tried to take the laminate off of it. I will be going back to him on monday to talk about it.

Either way the blacks were way off. More so with the laminate on it, it wasnt clear at all and more grayish then solid black.

I managed to get the print of the head with only leaving slight glue residue on it, so will try getting that off before doing another one on it. It is the front head, the one that faces the crowd not the pedal side.

Here is a pic of it before I attempted applying it.

post-42402-0-09734600-1370791533_thumb.j

I have successfully removed glue from clear drum heads using starting fluid followed by household window cleaner.