Sign in to follow this  
mustangconv85

narrowing a roll of vinyl

Hi i've got a friend that can get me several rolls of vinyl for practically nothing the only problem is i have a 25" pcut and the rolls are 48"  is there anyway to cut the rolls in half or would i have to find some place with a special cutter to do it 

thanks

I've used a table saw with a very thin blade to cut a 30 inch roll down once. You need a very steady hand and you take your time. Don't try and cut through the entire roll at once. Make several passes,raising the blade a bit each time. And with a 48 inch roll, I would have someone to help me. Stand to the side of the roll not directly in front of it,lest you get kickback.

I'm curious if you took it to somewhere like Fellers, if they would/could cut it down for you? Try calling some of your local vinyl supplier warehouses.

when I had a local sign supply place,they would cut stuff for me for $3 a cut. But I had made friends with one of the guys there. Worth a shot if you have a place near you. The saw they use,they place the roll on rollers that rotate in one direction,the blade somes down onto the roll of vinyl (like a chop saw). Both blade and roll are rotating,and I think that's what gives a good clean cut.

A inexpensive 10" metal cutting blade from Home Depot, installed in a 10" miter saw will cut vinyl. Take it slow to avoid heat build up.

I would think a band saw would work great for that as a last resort. It has a very thin blade and doesn't saw real fast so the heat wouldn't be much of a factor.

bandsaw blade would be the best. Problem would be finding a  band saw that adjust UP enough to get the roll under it. I had a 14 inch floor model that wouldn't.

thanks for the suggestions i have a big band saw that i'm sure they will fit and if not we have several miter saws that will work now if i can get the rolls cheap enough he's trying to raise his prices now