Sign in to follow this  
smithmotorsports99

Oracal 970RA

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice here. Looking to wrap two of my late model race cars in Black Oracal 970RA or equivilent. My question is, if I wrap with the 970RA and add sponsors and car #'s on top, and later down the road am either hit or need to change some lettering. Can you just remove the top layer of vinyl that was added? Or do I have to start from scratch and apply the 970RA and everything?

Thanks!

you would need to change that section. unless you used some vinyl with a very low tack adhesive then you could POSSIBLY pull it off.

Ok, that is what I was thinking. I normally just use oracal 651 for the letting since we change things from time to time.

But with the cost of the 970RA ($500+) a roll, I just wasn't sure if it was going to be worth it. It would be nice to just wrap when I want instead of working around the schedule of a painter.

Is there any other brands that sell black wrap that might be cheaper than the 970RA?

It is worth my time going with a 970RA or Hexis HX30000 for the price? Or should I just try and wrap the car in a high performance black, such as oracal 951 or 951? I like the fact that these two are laminated already, so it won't scratch as easy as just a high performance black vinyl. I don't have my own laminating machinge, so I'm at a loss on that one.

The car that I am trying to wrap is the profile picture that I have. It was originally painted black. But I am getting white replacement doors in and instead of sending the car out to repaint, I thought I would wrap it black that way the whole car is the same again.

i keep reading this and keep wondering why your going to spend all the money on buying a wrapping cast for this. Im not sure of the class or sanction of the car cause the pic is really fuzzy but that would point me in a bit better direction. From what i can tell wrap it in a black cast if there is alot of curves, if its a flatter sheeted body wrap it in 651.

If you have a unlimited advertising budjed and like to blow money to have it look good prior to the first rubbin go ahead and use 970.

I do think nomatter which material you use its gunna get beat up and and show signs of failure toward the end of the season with no panel replacememnts. It it the nature of the beast.

The 970 to me seems like a lot of money that could be better spent.

That's the opinion I am looking for! I don't want to waste money here. I was just concerned with the 951 or 751 scratching to easily since I dont have a way to laminate it. Thanks again!

yeah dont use 751 or 951 to try to wrap a car it would be such a headache

hexis, oracal and 3m are all really good wrapping vinyls.

you will be very happy with the 3m180, i have some samples of it before i used to wrap my car and it is soooo easy to work with.

i thought you wanted black though?

oh wait you bought the regular 180c which is the cast sign vinyl. i thought you had bought the ij180cv3 which is the badass wrapping film

yeah what he said, will prob be fine for the flatter panels but it is gonna be more work on the curves to get it to come out good