Sign in to follow this  
BannerJohn

FREE domain name,with hosting

Add a new page, and title it as "photos". There's an area somewhere on there where you can upload all you pictures. Then just click and drag on to the new "Photos" page, or however you transfer pictures(haven't done that yet cause I was on a government comp and couldn't DL something).

Hey John and others, put your site address up so I can compare mine with it. See how bad I'm doing. ;D

The reason you are limited to a certain # of fonts is because you never know if people will have the font you want when they try to access your site and if they let you use any font, then the person visiting your site didnt have it, it would look awful, therefore they limit the # of fonts to something EVERYONE has.

If that makes any sense

my $.02

WAyne

The reason you are limited to a certain # of fonts is because you never know if people will have the font you want when they try to access your site and if they let you use any font, then the person visiting your site didnt have it, it would look awful, therefore they limit the # of fonts to something EVERYONE has.

If that makes any sense

my $.02

WAyne

exactly. The only way you can be sure that someone is viewing it as you want if you use any font that isn't a common Windows font is to do your logo or whatever as a pic and upload it.

A lot of people don't realize that what you see on your computer is limited to the fonts YOU have. That is why most websites use standard fonts.

I have a problem with the free domain names and hosting.  Also with the GoDaddy's of the world offering $9.99/year domain names.

Basically my problem with them is this.  THEY own your domain name...you don't.  ICANN is the ONLY domain registrar and they work through Network Solutions.  When you register a domain name through GoDaddy or Globat or whoever, they register your name with Network Solutions for 99 years...that's how they get the price to you down to $9.99/year.   

Here are a couple of really big issues with that business model:

You miss a renewal.  They sell your domain name to someone else.

They go out of business.  You just lost your domain name when the year is up.  They own it...you don't

Personally, I have all of my domain names registered with Network Solutions.  It costs me a little more (I pay in 5 year blocks, so it's $20.00 per year), but I am the SOLE owner of my domain names unless I decide to let them go.

As for hosting, I use Globat.com.  They offer the most bang for the buck in terms of space and bandwidth from what I have been able to find.  I've been with them for the past 4 or 5 years and I have had great results.  They also keep upgrading my service in terms of space and bandwidth for $49.00 a shot.  They do this about once a year.  The last time though, it bit them in the butt.  They upgraded me to 3 terabytes of online storage and 3 terabytes of bandwidth per month.  I called them up and cancelled my other 2 hosting accounts and combined my 3 domain names into the main account and 2 sub accounts.  They went from getting $300.00/year from me to $100.00/year and $89.00 as a 1 shot deal for the upgrade and the 2 setup fees for the sub accounts.  Works for me...I'll give them $89.00 once and keep $200.00/year  :) :) :)

If any of you folks decide to host with Globat.com, please tell them that 3cyl.com referred you.  It gets me free service if 3 people sign up.

The longest that a domain  name can normally be purchased for is 10 years. NOBODY can sell a domain name for 99 years because NOBODY can buy one for 99 years. You own your own domain name when you buy it thru ANY reputable reseller.

And talk about absurd business practices! No business in the world could buy something for 99 years up front just to be able to sell it for $9.99 a years, especially something as specialized as a dmain name. Let's see, last I researched the bottom line for those who could pay the $10,0000's to buy into being a domain  register of GoDaddy's, Network Solutions, Enom, etc., was about $6.50 a name. Let's see, acccording to your theory they buy 99 years, $6493.50 up front to sell it to you for one year for $9.99? Get real!

$20 a year for a 5 year block is outrageous to pay to anybody. I sell domains in 10 year blocks for $89.95 for the entire period and you own your own name. You point it where you want to point it. When you buy a domain thru GoDaddy or anybody else you can point your domain to any nameserver you desire to point it to. You own your own name when you buy it, unless you buy a name/hosting package.

There are hundreds of businesses out there who buy up expired names. They buy them at the same prices that everybody else buys them for. They play the numbers, and try to resell very high. But, they are simply playing the numbers.

ICANN does not sell domain names to individuals, they do sell to accredited resellers who in turn resell thru their own networked partners. ICANN is the accrediting body for domain names and domain name resellers. Network Solutions is a reseller of domain names and a webhost. ICANN does not work thru Network Soultions. Network Solutions is an accredited reseller, as is GoDaddy, and many others. I am an ENOM Technology Partner, so I resell thru ENOM. I don't know where you got the idea that when one buys a name thru GoDaddy or whoever that they in turn buy it for 99 years, that being how they get it for $9.99.

I am a reseller, I pay $7.45 a year for a domain name. Here is what it takes to become an ENOM partner:

http://www.enom.com/pricing.asp#reseller

Here is a list of ICANN TLD's and accredited resellers ...

http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html

The cost to become an accredited reseller is a several 10's of thousands of dollars per TLD that you wish to resell.

Further if you fail to renew your domain you get tons of notifications, and you have plenty of time to renew AFTER your website stops coming up. If one does not renew their name it's nobodies fault but there own. Keep it renewed and nobody will steal it. Forget, let it lapse ..............

I by no means am a big name in this business, I am a simple reseller. But these are the facts as I know them, as an ENOM Technology Partner.

Bob

Thanks for posting the FACTS.

I own all of my domain names...not GoDady...Not Microsoft.

You are correct BannerJ, and if you don't own your own domain then why have it?

There are some unscrupulous retailers out there who combine hosting/domain registration in one package and thereby can be tricked into not being the owners. However, whenever one registers a name, no matter who with, there are 2 major areas. The 1st is the retailer info, the second is the owner info.

If anybody has any questions as to who owns their domain name simply do a whois search. Here is one of many links to WhoIs information:

http://www.technolojik.net/

Bob

I'm having trouble posting an image. This is a test.

Processedcane.jpg

The photobucket picture is posted here. I can't see the address nor the picture. Anyone else see it.

All orf a sudden I am having problems with photbucket pictures.