Sign in to follow this  
John T

need help cutting small text

Hi,

I'm new like so many on the forum.  I have a need to cut 1/8" letters for aircraft instrument panels.

I just can't seem to get my MH871 cutter set up in a way they will let me weed without pulling up some of the letters.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm new like so many on the forum.  I have a need to cut 1/8" letters for aircraft instrument panels.

I just can't seem to get my MH871 cutter set up in a way they will let me weed without pulling up some of the letters.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Haven't tried anything quite that small, think the smallest I've gotten is about 1/4"...

All i can add is to try different fonts and to check the blade setting.

Had originally read that it should be about 1/2 the thickness of a credit card but have since made it less than that and it actually made a better cut.

Thanks,  I've tried changing blade depth, down pressure, cutting speed and can get usable text but it's iffy.  Maybe someone knows what vinyl is best for very fine work.  I have tied 2 mm cast and it has been the best so far.  I have seen work done by others that was very good so I know it can be done.  Maybe someone will have the answer.  I'll keep checking the forum.

did you notice what brand of vinyl cutter did the small text that you saw.  Most shown on the forum are done with a Graphtec.  

did you notice what brand of vinyl cutter did the small text that you saw.  Most shown on the forum are done with a Graphtec.  

+1 graphtec or Roland will cut smaller using cleancut blades.  I have seen some people get small on refines with cleancuts and a lot of messing with the settings.  offset, pressure, minimum blade depth

Think I'm just going back to my corner and read the post rather than make any attempt to help....

my cutter wasn't doing as good of a job as usual, assumed it was the temp so up'd the pressure, walked away and came back to nicely cut out panels - right through the backing  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone.  These small type jobs are not worth the investment in an expensive cutter.  I have no problems cutting larger stuff especially after I installed a serial port card in my computer and have stopped trying to use the USB input.

I could never get acceptable quality on something that small with a drag knife cutter.  Even the Roland I used to have wouldn't do it.  A buddy has a Gerber pin fed machine with tangential knife that does a decent job with very small cuts.  Depending on the job you could screen print the panel.  I've done a few of those for people restoring warbirds.  If it's just a guy looking for a few decals for a panel, this won't apply, but some of these guys restoring war birds will pay big money to get an exact reproduction panel. 

I could never get acceptable quality on something that small with a drag knife cutter.  Even the Roland I used to have wouldn't do it.  A buddy has a Gerber pin fed machine with tangential knife that does a decent job with very small cuts.  Depending on the job you could screen print the panel.  I've done a few of those for people restoring warbirds.  If it's just a guy looking for a few decals for a panel, this won't apply, but some of these guys restoring war birds will pay big money to get an exact reproduction panel. 

done with graphtec

post-2774-12986556356469_thumb.jpg

post-2774-12986556358981_thumb.jpg

post-2774-12986556385675_thumb.jpg

post-2774-1298655638795_thumb.jpg

My Refine will do this.  Cut some 1/8" text and make it look like Cessna did it from the factory.  The Roland I had wouldn't do it to my satisfaction.  Depends on how picky the customer is.  The panels I did were inspected by an aircraft historian for accuracy before the customer would pay me.  On the other hand, I've seen tape and magic marker on some experimentals. 

To the OP...Looks like Dakota can cut your text.  Farm out the job.

done with the roland I just sold

I'm only doing this as a 'hobby' and you're starting to make me want a new cutter!!  :'(