Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Copied design on ebay... Arrrg!

Ok, I designed a decal and put it up for sale on ebay. I used a stock vector, but I modified it, replaced a few things and added others. Searching on ebay I found another seller with the same design. Ok we both might have though in a similar way, thats cool, but what I found hard to believe is that he made the same mods and alterations I did and that it ended looking exactly like mine.

Should I tell him something? What would you do?

Joe

Joe unfortunately once you put any image or graphic on the net if they want it bad enough they'll take anything, water marks included.  They can't design their own, they just steal.  Feel a little bit proud that someone thinks it's good enough to steal and then sell on.  I just laugh when it happens to me, as long as they don't claim it as their work I'm OK with the fact that they wanted it bad enough to steal it, had they asked I would have given it too them.    B) 8)

Joe

Guest fivestar

Ok, I designed a decal and put it up for sale on ebay. I used a stock vector, but I modified it, replaced a few things and added others. Searching on ebay I found another seller with the same design. Ok we both might have though in a similar way, thats cool, but what I found hard to believe is that he made the same mods and alterations I did and that it ended looking exactly like mine.

Should I tell him something? What would you do?

Joe

Hunt him down and hang him up by his toe nails.  B) 8) B) Sorry to hear about that Joe.

Yeah, I know that will happen anywhere. I know I can't do much about it, even if I copyright stuff.

I don't want to fight or anything, I just feel like telling him how curious it us that he "came up" with the same design I came up with and that I'm aware he copied it. That's all.

Once, there was a guy who not only copied 2 of my original desigs, but stole my pics and cropped them. It was another decal seller who told me.

I know I have to deal with that, But if they just altered the design a little or made the same concept in a different way, it would be less frustrating.

Guest kenya

Report it........ don't let it continue to be listed.  ;)

I would report it. I've tried selling decals on eBay that were similar to other sellers (not stolen!) like 4x4's, emblems, vectors, etc. and I got notice of selling "counterfeit" products. There are boundaries, I think its just a means of contacting eBay. Good luck Joe!

If you feel that strong about it then report it.  I have created lots of different designs that have been copied, I also sell on ebay, but i never report them a simple email to the seller and that usually does it.  Before you report the person email him and just give them a chance to remove it, if they do not remove it then move on and report them.

I beleive that there is plenty of room on ebay and online for everyone to sell there products, if your product is that good buyers will find you, and if you price is right then you will make the sale.

And you do not have to have it copyrighted or trademarked on ebay as long as you can prove that you created the design they will work with you.  usually the original listing is enough for them.