INSigns

Digitizing/making a vector file from JPGs 101

I'm having issues making Flexi or the sw that came w/ my LaserPoint (48" model)

digitizing/making a vector file from JPGs/GIFs, etc.

to make a banner

& marquis lighting (they want to change the lighting/lettering for the holidays, etc).

Any good pointers for a beginner (who's sign-experienced partnerette jumped ship & states, to go to hairdressing school instead of staring a business)?

Thanks kindly!

post-6212-12986544728003_thumb.jpg

post-6212-12986544728805_thumb.jpg

post-6212-12986544744628_thumb.jpg

post-6212-12986544745033_thumb.jpg

best software to use to turn jpgs into vector files is  www.inkscape.org  is free software.    plenty of info in the inkscape thread and videos to walk you right thru it.  

Are you creating those logos?  If so make the output be black and white instead of black and red.  Red and Yellow are the two toughest colors to try and vectorize in SBE.  If I have an imiage that are those two colors I won't even try, I'll just make it from scratch.

azdecals

Inscake on those photos would be a snap. Tons of how-tos, best free software you'll ever get! Even better than many you would pay for don't be fooled. I use it every day.

looking at your original post. are you creating these images? if you are, you can just work in vector to begin with.

bb

When you use that do you use the auto button?  I usually do,    I was just curious, sometimes they come out good other times not so good.

this time was just the auto button. but you have to play with it. sometimes you will have to adjust the color and contrast of what you are trying to vectorize. i usually use microsoft office picture manager for that, but you can use any photo editor for that. one thing i havent figured out yet is how to keep it from creating an outline of every element on top of the fill elements. ( i deleted them in the eps above)

bb