Desassoc

Window Landscape

This is my first 'big' project.  Client loves the graphic, I hate the install.  Luckily I work for the client, so I can try again until I get it right, its not a 'paying' job.  They are expecting a steep learning curve.  This is the first thing bigger that about 12x12 (door logos) I've installed.  and the reason they bought the cutter.  I'm going to have about 20 windows like this to do.

I used BGS 'frosted' vinyl.  They don't like it.  I need something 'whiter', but that still lets light through...  Suggestions?

The window is 72" wide.  I cut 3-22" tiles and 1-5" tile. (24" vinyl)  The tiles are about 32" tall.  any advice on how to put it up better?  I seemed to get a lot of crinkles and air bubbles in it.  I did a top hinge, starting with the middle 22".  I think it should have been a 2-man install.  My seams turned out pretty good after I cut once I cut the overlap.  They also want it about 12" taller, so it will end up 44" x22 tiles..

Window.jpg

please ignore the glare from my bald head..

Hmmm, with a frosted vinyl I would try to get it cut in one piece, but you may not have a choice if they want it that big depending on the cutter. 

I have seen the Oracal glass etch vinyl, and its almost dead on to what a real etch looks like.  Overlapping any transleuscent vinyl isn't going to look that great.

Other advice I have is do it wet, anything that large I would do wet, eliminates all the crinkles and bubbles. 

Its simple, use paper app tape and water with a little alcohol and a tiny bit of soap, spray the surface down and it allows you to move it around a bit until its perfect as you squeegee it in place, then the tack builds as you build pressure and get the water out from under.  Then I let mine dry for 30 minutes or so before I remove....some people remove right away but I always have problem with the vinyl lifting if I don't let it dry.

Guest kenya

Wonderful Job Decassoc !!!  ;)

Looks great..... love the detail. Bet it was fun to weed.  ;)

I've never done anything wet... I'll have to look into it that procedure.

Highly recommend the Product and the seller  Rapid Tac is already a mixed product and ready to use

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAPID-TAC-application-fluid-for-sign-vinyl-32oz-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ360089204074QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d6fd356a&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Guest fivestar

Very nice.  I use straight water when I do wet applications.  Spray a very fine mist of water on the substrate, then on the vinyl while removing the backing.  After you get it situtated the way you want it and squeegeed down then spray the application tape and rub your hand vigorously off it and you can see the glue releasing from the tape, then peel the tape off.

I use a spray bottle with Dawn dishsoap,  About 50 drops in a quart size bottle.  I also use a 3M black rubber squeegee with larger area's but the plastic squeegee on small area's.  Spray the window and the sticker, smear it around and lay the decal on slowly squeegee  down from the middle moving out on each side.  Let sit for about 10 minutes and take off app tape. The dawn is about 1/3rd the cost of application fluid and lasts me about 1 year. I put on about 150 to 200 graphics on cars & windows a year (large graphics).  I actually like it better than the application fluid and...well it cost less.

Wow that's a lot of soap. I use about one drop of dish soap. The rest is alcohol and water. But whatever works for you, you know?

The reason I don't use much soap is because it drys a lot faster. I can squeegee it on. Spray the tape. And then peel the tape right off without waiting. On small window lettering, I may have to wait a minute or two tops.

Get oracal etched glass. It looks lighter for sure and mimmicks real etched glass very well. Looks very professional. Cut it in two 72" sections, each of them 22" tall.

Update...  Thanks for all the advice The wetter the better...  I had a second pair of hands, and used homemade solution.  This set turned out a whole lot better.

The client wanted more contrast and wanted it taller.  The highest tree is 42" from the bottom of the window. I ordered some Oracal Trans in light gray, and perfect tear medium tack. 

I think it turned out much better.  I still need some practice seaming, some of the strips have a gap the width of an x-acto blade, but most I got closed.  You can only see them if you're looking, and you catch the light right.  and yes, it is a lot of weeding... some of the pieces (the shrubs by the house) are less than a grain of rice.

Windows.jpg

That looks a lot better than the first!

That frosted BGS stuff ain't worth the paper roll they put it on. I'm surprised you got the first one as nice as you did.

Thanks,  I did like the Oracal much better.

A followup question, how do I tell them to clean the window?  Will windex hurt the vinyl?  I know it took the adhesive residue off the window pretty easily...

I have always been told ammonia and vinyl adhesive is a no no even though the first time I heard that I had put a decal on my truck right after using windex, and its still fine......I would tell them to use straight water or water and a little alcohol myself.

Guest fivestar

Once the vinyl is on the window it "shouldn't" hurt to use windex since the windex won't be getting to the glue.  I've never had a problem using windex on an already applied decal.  It's just when you clean the window first with windex that the ammonia left on the window comes in contact with the glue.