KageDesign

Small text is not so much fun :)

So I got this job to do some names for a family tree and thought simple enough.  Until they brought over the plaque they want done.  There was hardly enough room for what I cut out and they the maximum height of the letters was .46" a little over 7/16".  60* blades and very slow speed FTW on this one.  Weeded out nicely and even got the dots of the i's to stay on the first try  :)

001qt4.th.jpg

002gg2.th.jpg

Nice.

Is that gold 651?  That stuff weeds pretty nice, helps to de-static it with a dryer sheet, sometimes small islands barely attached come flying up.

A friend of mine asked me to make him 6 etched glasses for his bar.  I laid it out not thinking about it....the last line of text was 1/4" high at smallest, 3/8" at tallest.  Luckily, I was weeding the letters and not the outside...

He still only got 3  :)

Nice.

Is that gold 651?  That stuff weeds pretty nice, helps to de-static it with a dryer sheet, sometimes small islands barely attached come flying up.

A friend of mine asked me to make him 6 etched glasses for his bar.  I laid it out not thinking about it....the last line of text was 1/4" high at smallest, 3/8" at tallest.  Luckily, I was weeding the letters and not the outside...

He still only got 3   :)

Its pretty close to the Gold 651, but it is off brand, I cant even remember what is for sure its been so long since I ordered it and the company name isnt printed on the backing.  Small is definitely not my favorite thing, weeding the letters out for a stencil seems harder to me than this, cause there is alot more small pieces you want to stay but they dont want to :)

I wish I could cut stuff that small. Never works out for me. :- It always ends up pulling up the letters when I cut...

Great Job!!! Cohesion, what cutter do you have, it must be settings unless you have a laserpoint then I feel your pain, my laserpoint cant cut small letters worth a damn.

Wayne

I've got a pcut and small letters are a pain for me too. I try hard not to do anything less than an inch but sometimes you just can't get around it. The start and stop point on all text leaves a little gap that wants to pull everything up.

Looks good! I have a question though, I'm doing small letters now and having a hard time, should I be using a 60 blade? I'm currently using a new 45 blade. I thought the 60 blade was for thicker vinyl?

Renee

Looks good! I have a question though, I'm doing small letters now and having a hard time, should I be using a 60 blade? I'm currently using a new 45 blade. I thought the 60 blade was for thicker vinyl?

Renee

A 60 deg might help you. I use a 45 deg and cut as small as .105 . Just slow it down. Depending on the font you could always weed after application.

Have fun,

Jon

Renee

I used to use a 45 for everything, but got some 60's and it seems to be able to cut more intricate designs easier and without pulling the letters off the back while cutting. I also cut these at 30 for the speed, and I didnt have one pull up while cutting.  thanks everyone  :)

Kage

I see you have a pcut too. do you have problems with the cuts not meeting up? It seems to tail off or just stop a hair short when making cuts.

Have you tried removing the safety cap from the blade holder? When cutting small intricate detail, the cap will collect loose vinyl. I prefer the 45d blades for standard vinyls, the 60 I use for heavier (the plow, LOL) materials like resist and 'frosted' vinyls.

Kage

I see you have a pcut too. do you have problems with the cuts not meeting up? It seems to tail off or just stop a hair short when making cuts.

I do have that issue every once in a while.  Depending on the size of things Im cutting I have to change the blade offset, smaller things I have a smaller offset so the blade doesnt cut thruogh what I want to keep, larger offset on the bigger things so it makes the cut a slight bit longer since its not so noticable if you have a small cut thru what you want.

Have you tried removing the safety cap from the blade holder? When cutting small intricate detail, the cap will collect loose vinyl. I prefer the 45d blades for standard vinyls, the 60 I use for heavier (the plow, LOL) materials like resist and 'frosted' vinyls.

I read the cap will also help keep the vinyl from lifting when cutting small items, do you ever have this problem when cutting small stuff without the cap?

I find that when everything is set up sweet, my pcut will do anything. Recent was some Arial @ 3/8" - worked great, I just slow down the speed.

If it is not set proper-  big stuff has tails and rounded corners, and all the small stuff gets ripped up by the blade, sometimes a 1/8 turn on blade depth is all you need

to make it 10x better.

Kage,

I want to do a family tree also.

Do you have a picture of the final project?  I'm interested in how they put it together.  I'm still thinking about how I want mine done.  (what tree, how to display names, etc.)  I thought about doing it on an artist's canvas rather than directly on the wall.  Still thinking...

Also, what font did you use? - it looks great.

Thanks,

Jean

I think they are still working on it.  They are painting a bonsai tree(bush whatever its considered) onto a wood substrate and laying the names down onto that.  Ill get a picture of it as its finished.  The name of the font is Park Avenue.