Sign in to follow this  
russdabuss

2 colors vinyl on shirts

A question to you all- I am once again new to this all so here goes.

When I get around to it and get my computer going.  I want to test a shirt(s) with 2 colors.

Lets say a Red Circle and then an object (black) in the center of it not touching the red. 

Now, do I understand you can only press one color at a time?  Or start with one color?

If so, how do I line them up?  I understand you make a circle or squares (registration marks) on both color to line up but how do you do that if you press one color first and do not want the circle or square on the shirt??? Do I just eye them up??

Hope this makes sense..!!  :huh:

Maybe if some one can do a step by step or a link to a video or another post.

I appreciate it!!!

I press one color for about 10 seconds.  Peel hot.

Let it cool a bit.  Line up the second color.  Cover with teflon sheet.  Press for the required 20 or so seconds.

I use ThermoFlex Plus.

Russ, this is how I do it:

1. Preheat the t shirt for about 6 seconds

2. Place first layer and press for 1 to 3 seconds (believe me thats more than enough to make the vinyl stay on the shirt). Remove backing

3. Place second color and heat press for the whole time (if it is more than two colors, repeat step one and make step two only with the last layer as vinyl shrinks).

To register, you do not need squares or circles, thats for decal vinyl, for t shirt vinyl you register by eye.

Good luck

Joe

i might suggest you make your design inside a square. cut the backing down to that square on both layers. then when you place your first layer, use dressmakers chalk to mark the corners of the backing paper on the shirt. line up all subsequent layers with the chalk marks. this should yield a perfectly lined up multycolor design. disclaimer; i haven't actually done this yet, but it is how i will as soon as i get my vinyl and get my  heat press setup. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bb

I do it exactly as Joe suggested, you'll get it lined up without a problem.

Russ, this is how I do it:

1. Preheat the t shirt for about 6 seconds

2. Place first layer and press for 1 to 3 seconds (believe me thats more than enough to make the vinyl stay on the shirt). Remove backing

3. Place second color and heat press for the whole time (if it is more than two colors, repeat step one and make step two only with the last layer as vinyl shrinks).

To register, you do not need squares or circles, thats for decal vinyl, for t shirt vinyl you register by eye.

Good luck

Joe

That worked out perfect. I just got my heat press and was wondering how to do 2 colors.

Thanks

I did my company logo on a shirt, and tried 2 different ways. Its basically text with an outline to it for 2 color. For the larger logo on the back, I used the punch command and made it so the 2 layers did not go over top of each other. The smaller one on the front I just layered the 2 colors like you would with vinyl decals. I found that the image on the back can flex a lot better due to the way I did the 2 colors, which makes it so you don't notice it when your wearing the shirt like I have on some vinyl shirts I have worn.

Just reporting my findings so far I guess.

In the back logo, did the colors overlap at least a bit or did you fit it right in?