Sign in to follow this  
TLE

Help with vista 64 bit

I just upgraded my computer and it has vista 64 bit. My problem is when I try to install the usb to serial cable it won't work, was told to get a usb to serial cable that would work with vista 64 bit, does any one know where I can get one, looked on line they say they work but they seem to cover alot of programs not sure

what i would do is delete all your ports that machines are assigned to.  Im using vista 64 as well with USB.  One you have deleted all teh assigned ports, install the drivers for your cutter then plug it in to the assigned port you want.  It should read from there.  64 should work just like 32....

Well....some items aren't designed to work with 64 bit OS.  Unless you have a specific driver that states XP 64bit or maybe 2003 64 bit, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

32 bit drivers just don't work the same.

I think that is the problem we have run in to. The driver folder for the Serial to USB cable specifically says: Vista 32

I have researched cables, and see many of them listed as compatible with Vista, and a select few that say they are compatible with Vista 32 or 64bit.

Wouldn't hurt to try what Charlie suggested though....

I will give this a try and ley you know. also are you saying when I plug the cutter in it should read it without a driver disc loaded. Thanks