charlie_b CFXPaintworks

Charging for Graphics

Guest fivestar

I didn't take it as a flame, and I'm sure Charlie won't take it as such neither.  Trust me, there's ALOT of people that will pop on here and ask for a certain file or want someone to create something for them and then never to be heard from again until they want another graphic.

As for Sign Forums, as M&S said, that was an easy one.  :o;):D 

I love helping people out, but when all they want are graphics or you to do all the work and them collect the $$$$ well that's when it stops for me.

I am a newbie. I have posted some help things because of not knowing why this and that is happening or how to do certain things. A lot of them could be stupid/simple things to the experience people but to us it could be a real pain if we don't learn the answers. Thankfully there are plenty of people on here willing to help out and give advice.I do admit that some of us do come into this not really not knowing much and the cutter and software don't come with much information/directions.  I have been reading a lot of the different threads on here to learn what I can before I ask questions and I can see what Charlie is saying. I totally agree that there should be a seperate thread for paying for requests that you design or even give that people can use! I do know that if I asked someone to create a design for me that I was getting paid for believe me I would be more then willing to pay them, exspecially since you know how awesome their work is already like charlie and Joe's are.

Christi

Speaking from personal experience.  Around here we charge for artwork if it needs to be started from scratch.  So therefore we either design it or we have someone that we know do it for us who is a little better than we are.  She never asks for money, but we know it takes time....sometimes a lot of time..  We make sure we take care of her, cause there will come a day when we REALLY need her.  We basically send whatever the customer paid us over to her usually from 65-150 easily.  And if the customer balks at all we send them across town to a graphic designer and there rates are closer to 800 for a from scratch logo.....they come back real quick.  This is mainly for our screenprinting side of our business...but I believe it works for all.

So with that said....there are some logos that are like shareware that you could eventually find anyways if you looked hard enough.  And there are logos that have to be made.  I'm really new here, but I fully understand this concept.  And I like the idea of a page where some good designers can sell there services from.

Jon

Well now I get to put my 2 pennies in on this since someone else started the thread.  ;D Charlie you know how I feel about this as we have discussed this on MSN a few times.  I have paid Charlie for his work before and he never ask for a penny, I insisted. 

People come on here all the time just wanting someone to make them a graphic and never offer a thing in return.  Anyone wonder why I am not on this forum very much anymore?   :huh: 

I believe I have helped this forum and company out greatly and people come onto here to just leech free graphics and designs, well they aren't getting them from me anymore, not that I am a designer and never claimed to be one.

This forum is the best forum I have ever been a part of, but people has abused this forum way too much, so I have stayed away from helping people for that particular reason.

Charlie is one of the best designers I have ever seen and if you can't give him a few bucks for designing something for you then either design it yourself or try to hire someone else and see what it will cost you.

CamaroJoe is another excellent designer and he should be paid for his time too.  It is one thing to ask for help on a particular item or even request a graphic now and then, but there's people on here that their only posts are requesting graphics or wanting someone to design something for them and can't even say thank you.

I was going to post something regarding my feelings on this subject, but David pretty much hit the nail on the head, for me.

Paying it forward works great if the people are willing to contribute, but it seems like a large majority of the newer members, "grab and run", worried about me, me, me.... As David mentioned about not coming around as much lately... I've seen others do this too, including myself. You can only give or help out so much without feeling appreciated, before you get burned out. And think that's what has happened to a lot of the more senior members, lately.

Charlie... I don't see anything wrong with the suggestion you have posted... it sucks that someone has to make a post regarding this issue cause the requester's aren't generious or thoughtworthy on their own to throw a few bones someone's way for the time and effort they took out of their day to help a complete stranger...

So, with that said, you got me all pissed off about this place again... see ya'll in a week or two.

Tim

but can't you just ignore those requests or ask them for payment?

Ya want to bet?

What do Charlie, David, Shelia, Joe, Jenny, Tracee, I, or a handful of other great forum members owe these people? We're not employed by USC, we're all just members of a "tech support" just like everyone else, but have just been around a bit longer.

Thankfully there are plenty of people on here willing to help out and give advice.I do admit that some of us do come into this not really not knowing much and the cutter and software don't come with much information/directions.  I have been reading a lot of the different threads on here to learn what I can before I ask questions

Christi

And Christi... that's the different between you and other newer members... you take the time to see if the question has already been asked, or look for an answer on your own.

Just the other day, someone started a thread asking a vehicle decal pricing. After I posted a reply with a price cheat sheet, and return to that particular sub-forum... the same question was asked not 30 minutes prior... case in point.

Charlie,

I do apologize :huh:

I do agree with if you design something  you should be compensated.  I misunderstood about the design aspect.  Freebies should remain free but, if you design something, YES, we should offer the designer something monetary.

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;D

I think if you design something form scratch, you should definetly be paid. I'm starting to think I may have to hire someone to make my logo as I am just blank on what to do.

Charlie, I would so pay you for your work. Your awesome! As well as Joe, and many others on here. If your going to take time out of your busy schedule to help someone out, the least they can do is slip you a bill or two. I have tried to design things myself, and boy is it difficult. So props to all the designers, and you deserve to get paid.

Love you all!  :huh:

Amber

I'm feeling all lovey dovey lately!

Charlie,

I do apologize :huh:

I do agree with if you design something  you should be compensated.  I misunderstood about the design aspect.  Freebies should remain free but, if you design something, YES, we should offer the designer something monetary.

Sorry for the misunderstanding ;D

There is no need for apologies.  I think when i speak, i speak on behalf those who has at one time, done more than just a few minutes worth of work that others seem to just take for granted.  Im not saying im going to charge my normal design/computer time of $85-$150 an hour to design one's logo(depends on the client), but at least when i give you something NO ONE IN THE WORLD has...give a little back.  I started this thread not to point fingers or single anyone out, but a plea for everyone to recognize that we too are trying to make a living...not just you.  No worries LLCE.  I think from now on, when a graphic is requested, they will at least offer something for one's time and efforts and not just ask and leave.

You charge how much an hour!!!! I am so in the wrong business.

You need an assistant Charlie? I can fan you while you work hard!  :huh:

Love ya Charlie!

It depends on the client...

For example..Nitto Tires needed a whole wrap design for their Time attack car.  I asked what their budget was and they said keep it under $7K.  So i charged accordingly. 

Toyota Trails team had me do Tshirts and banners.  I asked what their budget was and they said.."we have a pretty good budget".  So i knew i had free range with what i could do. 

A local Hawaiian bar-b-q restaurant wanted a quick logo for their grand opening and business cards.  Took me a little under and hour so i charged them $80.  When i do graphics for people here, it is because i LOVE doing it and not mind helping someone like i did some for you.  There are, however, some who keep asking and keep making $$$ and keep asking me for some more...those people are the ones who need to wake up.

Much Love Lil Sis...you know we all watch out for each other here.

I pay those who I ask to modify things...

...sometimes I think I pay too much *squint*  :huh:

And Christi... that's the different between you and other newer members... you take the time to see if the question has already been asked, or look for an answer on your own.

Just the other day, someone started a thread asking a vehicle decal pricing. After I posted a reply with a price cheat sheet, and return to that particular sub-forum... the same question was asked not 30 minutes prior... case in point.

I was invited to this forum from a different forum I was on, being informed how friendly everyone was here. In the 2 months I've been here I have read A LOT. I believe in the teach a man to fish theory, whether I am the teacher or student. I am not here just to take others experience/graphics/etc and run. Like many others, I'm just learning the cutting aspect, creating vector art and pricing it. However, I've been embroidering and applying heat transfers for 4 yrs. So when a question comes up that I feel I can help someone I gladly contribute where I can. Firemalt, this is a pretty large forum and while I try to read every post that I think will pertain to me.....yes I did miss that one on the price sheet for vehicle decals. However, my post also asked additional information on the type of vinyl too. Not to mention, before posting I did place a search and nothing came up. I made a mistake ......being human that happens. You'll be happy to note that I did see both of your posts about keeping busy for 5 min when first posted so didn't engage in your fun :huh:

Charlie you are very gifted as an artist and should be compensated for original artwork. Especially when it is a paying job that the artwork is used for. In all your posts I've read, you are also a very genuine all around nice guy. Anyone who has tried to edit simple artwork, manipulate nodes, or add a few things.....knows how challenging it is to get something cut ready. Much less start from scratch and obtain the results you do, VERY impressive. In embroidery we have digitizers that create works of art. That art charge is then passed on to the customer. I think the idea of having a special link for artists would work great. As both sides would know up front what to expect. I would like to thank the people that take their valuable time to help those that are just learning. At first glance, it seemed to be what this forum was all about. Making it unique from the any other.

There seems to be more and more people getting on the forums now, some seem to be here to stay, some just lurk, and some just ask for free graphics.  I completely understand we are all trying to make some cash here and we are all pretty tight, but how about the ones who make the graphics?  I think as a courtesy, if someone requests a graphic or even have someone design their logo, they should at least pay something for their time.  I see quite a few members here asking for a graphic for this or that, someone gives them or even DESIGN something for them, then that person takes the graphic and makes money on it.  What about the person who did all the design work?  What did he or she get?  I think we all agree that work is work...pitch in...even if it is a little something.  Appreciate their time by sending them a few bucks.  It doesn't hurt and really, build a relationship with your designer.  There really isn't an excuse to just get someone's work and run with it...

So i ask you all, if you are willing to Ask for something, at least OFFER something back in return.  It is only common courtesy.  We are all here to make a living...share the wealth.  Lets keep the integrity of this forum by showing we are not just takers here.  And on another note, designers...don't be afraid to ASK for some cash...i mean..YOUR time is equally as valuable.  When you think about it...TIME is something you will NEVER get back.  It can not be replaced.  So CHARGE your worth.  Sure...you did not do the cutting or weeding,  but hell...you did something another person couldn't do.  CHARGE THEM.  It is always nice to help one another.  I'm all for that and i have helped people in the past.  But really, lets face it..when was the last time you made money from someone else's work and not reward them? 

Everybody play your part.  Lets keep our business flourishing by giving credit to where it is due.  No, this isn't directed to anyone...lol...i have done many free stuff for people here...more than i should probably...but i think people should consider this and is equally as important as cutting the design out.   

Keep at it Peeps!  Cut away!

Charlie Charlie Charlie, its not about the money !! It is how cute they are  :huh: JK

I can see your stance on this matter and I agree with you on several levels. I only help those who are using my designs as a leaning experience or adding to the designs with there own creativity. Those who become lazy repeat wana be's cut there own throats. This does not mean not to ask for my help it just means that if im running your business then you might as well franchise threw me!

I think USCutter owes us each about $250,000.00 for all of the advice and boasting of there products. Ill take my payment in uro please ;D Great Post Charlie..