fly4funn

Looking for a point in the right direction

I know you guys that know what you are doing can help me out. I'm starting from nothing with Corel 14 and Illustrator CS3 and have played and dug for 3 days now and just can't figure this out. I've never used either of these programs prior to last Thursday so I'm really crawling. There are 2 pictures attached to this post and what I want to do is take RV-1 and be able to cut it out to look like RV-2. About the only thing I've figured out so far that actually works is how to rotate it! Can someone explain in idiot terms how this is done so maybe I can understand. Many thanks in advance!

post-3352-1298652600359_thumb.jpg

post-3352-12986526004501_thumb.jpg

post-3352-12986526014277_thumb.jpg

post-3352-12986526015084_thumb.jpg

That only cuts the image out. What I am looking for is an outline of the image with the pieces also being in place on the inside and the vinyl being about 1/8 inch wide so that when it is placed on a window it looks like the outline in the second image.

I would suggest tracing the image with the pen tool. It is simple enough if you are familiar with the pen tool...? Then just bump up the outline to where you like the "convert outline to object".

Or use Corel Trace and try the "line art" setting. Then bump up the outline size to where you want in Draw.

Thats a quick suggestion...This is a great image to learn your way around the pen tool!!! Manipulating nodes is important in vectorizing. I would recommend tracing with a pen tool if you have the time to learn...If not send me Corel X4 and I'll do it for you  :thumbsup:

Not sure if you have this done yet but would suggest that you go ahead and take the .jpg and trace it in corelx4 and then make a copy of each section. Make it a bit smaller than the first object to create the line effect you are looking for. Then do a back minus front.

This way you will be able to get the see through effect in the areas of the canopy and prop area.

Example is after tracing select the whole object and ungroup it. Then select the wing and duplicate it. Then grab the corner nodes and shrink it down so that it will create a line thickness, after doing that  go up to tool bar and select back minus front. It will leave a out line of the wing. Do this for all the objects and you will end up with a cut pattern that will give you the see through effect.  I will tinker with it some and see what I can do, but that will me later this week.

Keith

I prefer Inscape over Corel to trace but that's beside the point. Once you have the raster vectorized and imported into corel, highlight all the curves, goto image properties, selecting no fill and then outline to the thickness you desire. If you desire different line thickness for various areas, goto the contour tool and play around with contouring. Once finished, break the contour apart and delete the aspects you no longer desire. Cut and weed the areas between the outline and that should produce what I understand you to desire.