Sign in to follow this  
RoyBoom

What vinyl to get to start off?

I haven't ordered any vinyl yet, actually my Laserpoint has been here for a week or so but I've been to busy with other stuff to even open the box and look at it yet.  I've been reading lots here trying to figure out some so I'll know something about what I'm doing when I do attempt to get going.  Reading on here seems like 651 is a real popular one to use.  I just got a swatch book from Kapco and looks like their K6000 and K5000 is what I'd go for with them.

Anyone have suggestions for where the beginner starts?

I bought some cheap vinyl from a guy on this site to get started with and made alot of practice cuts. Welcome to the site

I am a newbie, but here is what I did.  I bought a huge roll of white butcher paper from Sam's and I practice(d) like crazy on it with the pen dealie.

I also bought some Oracal 651 (15").  I have been through quite a bit of it just playing around.

Good luck.  You have come to the right place for answers.  These guys are all experts.

PattyT, the way you're doing it is about what I'd thought about doing.  It's going to take some time to figure this whole thing out.

What suppliers are close to SW Michigan?  I think there is someone here from Coldwater, where do you get your supplies?

There are two Fellers locations in Michigan.  Probably not close enough to pick up locally, but they ship within 24 hours for free if your order is more than $75.  Their in house brand is Shinerite.  Would make a good choice for practice.  I just bought my first roll to try out and I don't have any complaints yet.  Definately practice on paper first with the pen.  Will save you a lot of vinyl at the beginning.