Sign in to follow this  
splash0321

Need Advice....should I buy a new carriage?

Hi, I have a MH721 and used it for a few months and it worked ok. I took about a week off and when I started to use it again I found out that that carriage was not moving vertically. It will move side to side, and the vinyl gets fed back and forth like its supposed to but no cutting. The blade just wont drop. I checked the forums and have taken the cutter apart 2 times to ensure everything is snug.

Yes, I can do a test cut but the same issue occurs, the blade doesnt drop.

Should I just buy a new carriage and give that a shot? I dont really feel like spending money on this if im not sure that its the problem. Any ideas?

Do you have the unit grounded?

it wasnt at the time that this problem started but it is now. Im afraid the damage has already been done. the unit wasnt sitting on the stand when it happened, it was on a table.

If it is now grounded, but still acting this way.....I would be leaning towards a carriage replacement, yes.

bought the new carriage, got it and installed it today. the blade holder doesnt drop still......whats the next step?

can you tell me what wires are directly related to the up/down movement of the carriage? Im trying to track the issue back to the motherboard. Im noticing some wires that are slightly chewed like a mouse got in there. I cant see any damage to the motherboard but who knows....the mouse might have pissed all over it and screwed me over.

bought the new carriage, got it and installed it today. the blade holder doesnt drop still......whats the next step?

can you tell me what wires are directly related to the up/down movement of the carriage? Im trying to track the issue back to the motherboard. Im noticing some wires that are slightly chewed like a mouse got in there. I cant see any damage to the motherboard but who knows....the mouse might have pissed all over it and screwed me over.

Unsolder, flip the wires for the carriage, and re-solder. No way to tell which goes where so you have a 50/50 shot of getting it right the first time.