Sign in to follow this  
JasonR

Thickness of vinyl - different cut lengths?

I am cutting something that's about 20 inches long. Two different colours, and two different brands of vinyl. One is Red (Oracal 651) and the other is Black (Arlon HP vinyl, one of the free rolls). The red cut comes out to be the correct length, but the black is longer than it should be.

Is this a cutter/software problem, or am I right thinking that different thickness in vinyl could cause this problem?

Jason, there is no reason for that to happen.

Is it a layered artwork? If so, are both color supposed to be the same length? Or is one of them supposed to be smaller to go on top?

Open your file and input the length, then select the color that is supposed to be that long. Then when selecting the other color dont put any lenght value, it should do it automatically. (if they are both in the same file).

Joe

It is black text with a red stroke around it.

I put a pen in the plotter and 'cut' the image on some paper. I did the black and the red on top of each other, and it turned out fine, so I don't think it's software. Then I took the paper and the black vinyl that I had already cut out and looked it on a light table and the black was still off, but the red lined up how it should.

I've noticed Arlon has a slicker surface than Oracal and Avery. My guess is that it's slipping in th pinch rollers.

I've noticed Arlon has a slicker surface than Oracal and Avery. My guess is that it's slipping in th pinch rollers.

Yup.

Two different brands will always cut slightly differently.  Heck, even different colors of the same brand will do it!

That's why most software you can "calibrate" to compensate for things like this.