Pepe

best low tack paint mask- tape combo?

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with avery paint mask and rtype conform clear transfer tape.

The transfer tape is too strong and rips the paintmask off.

I use it for airbrushing logos and art on cars and other stuff.

Does anyone have a good kown combination recommendation of paintmask and tape that is easily to remove?

Possibly close to TN  :D

Thanks.

Pepe - I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to do some experiments with paint mask myself. I know Avery sells some paint mask, you might want to give them a call or check out their website if you can't get an answer here. If I get a chance I'll look around and see what they recommend. If you find the answer I'd like to know.

Peabody

I use the avery paint mask for painted auto graphics with no problems, sometimes the white, sometimes the yellow, both have worked well for me. I usually use a paper transfer tape though instead of the clear rtype.  Are you using a precleaner or wax & grease remover before applying the mask? Some of those can leave a residue behind that makes it hard for the mask to stick, so it could be that you're not getting a good bond between the mask and the surface more so than the trans tape being too strong.  You could also try flashing the trans tape on a piece of cloth before applying it to the mask to pick up a little lint and reduce the tack a bit...

Thanks Venice,

I wasn't using any degreaser, just the dry basecoat (waterbased createx).

Is the paper Rtape not as sticky as the clear?

Oracal 810 will conform to some curves (811 for flat).  I use R-Tape conform (paper).  I don't have lot of experience but, these do work well together.

Regis