catsmeow

Trouble importing .dxf files - HELP!

New to Signblazer - trying to import a .dxf file from a 3d CAD program. Have the .dxf file in Autocad v14 format, but when try to import, there is nothing on the screen.  What is the trick to this?  It should not be this hard, should it?

I've had zero luck getting DXF files into SB... you'll probably need to save them as ESP from your CAD software and import into SB... that's not without problems but it may get you going.

Im an autocad tech by profession so i design much of my graphics in autocad. I've always exported to R12 dxf (which dumbs down the lines/curves so other programs can comprehend them) and Ive never had a problem with it. Ive only used signblazer to do this so i know it works.

I think it depends on the complexity of the file. I have had success with smaller simpler files but the larger files will not work. Can you post a couple of examples of what you are trying to import?

I stand corrected... I can only dumb down to R14. I agree, it is related to the complexity of the drawing.

Don't have a problem with small simple stuff.

There's a few examples on here... Neither Bruce or Jerry had any luck importing them, both acknowledged a problem.

i can take a look at the dxf if you want and see if i can get it working...i dont think you can upload a dxf here....my352graphics@yahoo.com..send it to me and I'll fix it up so you can get it working

Thanks for the offer to take a look at the files... there are several floating around here so I'll try to find them.

When it outputs it doesn't give me that option.

Thanks

post-1245-12986526319458_thumb.jpg

post-1245-12986526331917_thumb.jpg

ahhh....i see that you are using turbocad...i think autocad will do a better job of exporting to dxf...if you find the file let me know and I'll work with it

I worked with some Autocad files from another forum member. The ends of the lines were not joined so the shapes did not close.

:huh: autocad does a better job... it sure should! I don't think SB requires the dxf file be generated by AC to work.. LOL  and I'm not sure why a polyline being open would cause a problem..

Not trying to be a wise guy... I think SB just can't handle a more complex file.

You'll need to rename the extension to dxf... not sure why we can't upload dxf files anymore ?

Looks just like the one I attached... big black box, thanks for trying though!

Your .dxf is like an engineering drawing with dimensions and all. (Maybe an A/C dashboard?) Is there a particular part of it you are interested in cutting?

Yes, it is an engineering drawing.. I'm interested in everything in the drawing. Different elements of the drawings have their own color. That way I can pen plot the drawing, switch to a blade and cut-out instrument openings.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. At least as far as Signblazer and dxf files are concerned. I don't know AutoCad but is there a way to just select the elements that you want to cut and save only them to a .dxf file?

The reason you're seeing a black square is all the entities are filled.  Switch to wireframe mode and you'll see the entities that were imported.  As far as importing the text and dimensions, Signblazer doesn't recognize them.  You could try exploding them to lines and arcs.

That's what I have to do and the eps seems to work.

Hotrodz,

That the best I've seen so far but a lot of the drawing is missing and so are the colors.. The biggest problem is, the drawing Imported into SB is .71" wide x .5" tall. That's way tiny compared to the actual drawing.

SB can handle tiny simple DXF files.. only