Sign in to follow this  
jeff0246

Help with getting started...disabled, but willing to work hard! Please assist!

all these oracal people...

Im the black sheep here.. I say buuuy 3M Scotchcal 50 or Avery A6,

I have had no problems with those brands.  An application tape I

would recommend over ALL the rest, 3M SCPS-2, will set you back

$90 but WELL WORTH THE MONEY!  Good for wet AND dry apps.

I would like to clarify that $90 is for 24" wide roll.. and not to hate on firemalt but Ive used the tapes he mentioned and was not nearly as happy with those as I am with the above mentioned tape. Ive used every type of app tape that Fellers has to offer.

Welcome to the trade Jeff! I can see that you have came to the right place for help and with all of this info you should fair very well. I can honestly say that out of all the forums this one is the warmest one on the www .

My advice to you would be to grab a note book and start a Mach up on what you would like your business to be. Search your phone book and single out groups for prospecting ( roofing, window & siding and lawn service co.'s) offer your service in an information pitch more so then a sales pitch. This will give you some exposure. Try to contact some of your large local sign companies ( stay away from the small guy some are very very.... well you get it) and inform them that you are a new company asking about overflow. Pass some flyers out and contact your local city commerce, getting involved with the city is always a plus. You will be your first customer so pimp that ride Jeff, put your name and phone number on your whip!!! " just make sure you keep your vehicle clean at all times, it represents you and your work"

I will be here to help just as the rest of this forum, we have all been in the starting seat before and know what it is like to be new to the trade.!!!  ;D

Boe

Xpress Signs & Graphics

Thanks so much Boe, you gave me some wonderful advice and some motivational thoughts.  I really appreciate your advice and help.  Everyone has been super helpful and kind!

Fervently,

Jeff

SO, I now know which vinyl to use, but am a little unsure of what making tape/transfer tape to use.  WHat are the differences?  High Tack, Low Tack, Medium Tack, Wet Application, Dry App., OMG... Can any sign go on wet, and if so what are the advantages?  Thanks in advance!

Advantages are: you will be able to place and move the vinyl to position. When dry you just cant. When wet you will be able to work the bubbles out by squegeing them out, when dry you need to pinch them with some kind of needle. There is a ton of info about wet applications, methods, tips, even homemade solutions. I invite you to do a search for wet application and you will learm a lot. Joe