Sign in to follow this  
ATKOgirl

Questions about Cutter as Pen Plotter

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that you could offer some advice and opinions regarding vinyl cutters/plotters and their use as pen plotters.

To give you a little background information:

I am not looking to necessarily use the plotter as a cutter, although I am starting to come up with many uses for the cutting function in addition to the pen functionality.

I am a wedding professional who currently runs a very old flatbed X-Y plotter system to do "pen & ink" calligraphy on envelopes and invitations. The system is by a company, Inscribe (Inscribe.com) and has been around for about 20 years. You can see a sample of the very old plotter in action here:

http://www.reavesengraving.com/images/Calligraphy_Full.wmv

and also here:

The system is retro-fitted to use calligraphy nibs with plotter ink. I do not know who the manufacturer was since it is only branded as Inscribe.

The envelopes/paper are held in place using magnets. Also, if you want to print more than one envelope at a time, there is a pad of paper in place on the bed and the plotter draws boxes on the pad where you place your envelopes - driven by the software. You then attach your envelopes in the drawn boxes using the magnets.

However, there are several issues with this system:

*  It is very, very old and is run by a DOS-based program

*  It is an extremely limited system - you cannot use your own fonts or graphics, only those that came with the DOS-based software

*  There are no windows drivers for it, so I cannot explore other software for it, since I cannot get it running on any version of  Windows. I've tried the Winline universal plotter driver, but unfortunately, it does not work

*  It is extremely slow

So, I am looking to move to a more advanced plotter that will give me design freedom from a graphic and <especially> font standpoint. Initially, I wanted a flatbed X-Y plotter, but I am finding that they are not readily available. I've found some very old ones on Ebay, but none that are new or up-to-date. The only newer ones I've found are enormously expensive.

This has brought me to the sign cutter market. I know that most sign cutters also can do pen plotting.

What I think I am looking for I think is the following:

*  Ability to retrofit in some manner with calligraphy pens or nibs and also if possible, with an assortment of other pens, the more the merrier - Are there any brands/models that are more receptive to non-plotter pens?

*  Ability to use as X-Y plotter rather than as friction fed to prevent the ink from smearing

*  Must not make any other marks (usually from friction feed) on the envelopes/paper

*  Possibly integrate with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign

Also, I've seen some plotters that can do engraving. I have a question about the engraving process. Can it be done on paper to give a debossed or embossed look, or will it "burn" through the paper?

Thank you for reading my message. I greatly appreciate any advice, opinions feedback or suggestions that anyone can offer.

I anxiously look forward to your responses!

Sincerely,

Maria

Guest sciondrgn

Hmm not quite sure if anyone else can answer or not.. I have plotted with mine. If you have a sample I would be more then happy to try it for you to see if it works.. I had a video at one point of my cutter drawing out flowers with the pen attachment it comes with.. I dont have the video anymore but could prob make another if you wanted to see a sample of something you would normally write out.. As far as using different pens, ive heard sharpies will fit in there and then of course the pen holder that it comes with.

Guest sciondrgn

I have the Pcut CTN900 its the 36in model

The LaserPoint also comes with a pen for plotting (although I have yet to try it yet).

I would think you would find a rotary engraver functions more like your plotter.  It has a flatbed and the subject stays in lace while the head moves.  It would be a matter of fiting a pen in place of the cutter and turn off the rotary function (simply remove belt).   

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their replies. 

Regarding the rotary cutters, the only ones I've been able to find are priced in the 10's of thousands.  I am looking for something in the $500-$5000 range.  Are there any in that price range?

sciondrgn: I would love to take you up on your offer to try a plot for me.  Can I send you a pdf or Illustrator eps?  Thanks in advance!

In regards to the Pcut and the Laserpoint, do you think either of them could be fit with different sized pens?

Thanks!

Guest sciondrgn

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their replies. 

Regarding the rotary cutters, the only ones I've been able to find are priced in the 10's of thousands.  I am looking for something in the $500-$5000 range.  Are there any in that price range?

sciondrgn: I would love to take you up on your offer to try a plot for me.  Can I send you a pdf or Illustrator eps?  Thanks in advance!

In regards to the Pcut and the Laserpoint, do you think either of them could be fit with different sized pens?

Sure EPS is just fine, you can email it to me sciondrgn@cox.net

Ive heard others putting pens like sharpies in there so I would imagine, space permitting it would work. I will see what I have laying around and try different markers and pens, I think I have a fountain pen somewhere I can try.

Thanks!

If you don't mind the media you use to scroll back and forth, such as all of the US Cutter machines do, and you're really only looking for printing, I would suggest checking out HP's DesignJet series of plotters. While they might not be able to provide you with metallic ink, they are multifunctional and can do color. You can use just about any font you want with it too.

Hi Everyone,

Again thanks for your responses.

sciondrgn:  I just sent you a test eps - thanks so much for your help!

haumana: Thank you for your suggestion. I have access to two wide format Epson inkjets and also a Xante color laser digital press. I do use these for other design projects.  However, for the calligraphy, I am trying to reproduce the authentic pen & ink look that the Inscribe system has. It is just not possible with the inkjet or laser. But thanks again for your suggestion - I love them for my other design work.  I do also actually hope to also eventually incorporate a cutter into my arnsenal of tools to work in conjunction with the inkjets and digital press to create different custom invitation elements such as envelope liners, invitation wraps and pochettes. However, I am not there yet.

Thanks again to you both.

Maria

Good luck. Just remember, when you finally find either your solution or a suitable work around, come back and give us an update. We always want to know how these kinds of threads end up.  :D

Guest sciondrgn

ohh and just so you know this was done on a card stock style envelope on speed 50 on the cutter, using the standard plot pen that is included  :huh: