Sign in to follow this  
cutme

paint mask for a custom surf board

my friend is having a custom surf board made. she asked if i could make some paint masks with my plotter. i told her to give me an image to cut. she drew the skull and flower by hand and scanned it and emailed it to me. i traced it with the poly line tool and cleaned it up with the node editor. the mask vinyl is oracal 810 hiflex. i hope to get pictures of the finished board.

bb

post-2091-1298652265736_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986522658166_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986522658775_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986522671126_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986522671548_thumb.jpg

post-2091-1298652267196_thumb.jpg

bb, I hope it all goes great! Good luck on that project. be sure to show us some pictures.

Joe

Guest rvgraphixs

Looks great what paint mask do you use and where do you purchase.

oracle 810 hiflex. i bought a roll from ordway.

bb

Guest crshirts

Looks great can't wait to see the board finished

Carl

Guest Schramm

I have used Oracal and it is ok but have you tried Avery?  I like it better as the tack is not so high that it is hard to release in delicate situations such as my work.  Living in Florida I cut stuff out for surfers quite a bit, those designs would be a hit down here as skulls seem to be the biggest thing in surfing!!!  Good luck on your project, give Avery a try, its a little higher in price but the difference is day and night!

Fellers has a paint mask from Pask that I have been going to try but honestly I can not stand Fellers, we have one in Tampa and those guys are pretty damn rude!!!  Its like they expect you to know everything...  Not to mention there money is made in selling products for wraps (which I do not do) and installing them.

this is my first experience with masking materials. it will be a while before i try anything else as i now have a fifty yard roll of the stuff. i am planning on trying my hand at airbrushing ghost flames on my new van. it is carbon metallic black. but first i am going to try flaming my black mailbox as a practice run. here is a pic of my van.

bb

post-2091-12986522716703_thumb.jpg

post-2091-12986522731321_thumb.jpg

yep! 69 bus. that was one of my old "work" vehicles, until i was rear ended by someone passing on the right.

bb