comanswoodwork

Cutter randomly starts cutting straight lines through an entire roll of vinyl

What would cause the plotter to randomly stop cutting a graphic and just cut a straight line through the roll of vinyl till it runs out?  Not that it runs out since this thing will not feed a roll of vinyl straight anyway.  It just goes till it binds up and cant do anything.  I have wasted lots of vinyl now and im getting frustrated now.  I am running windows XP and it does it with signcut x2 pe as well as sign tools 3.  In both cases the graphic is from coreldraw x3.  I cant use this thing now cause all it wants to do is eat vinyl and cut straight lines through it.  Does this thing need to be replaced?

Attach a copy of the file you are trying to cut, and I will try it on my Copam here. If it does the same thing, probably an issue with the file. If not, might be a problem with the cutter.

Others have had the issue of the vinyl not feeding straight and have solved it by manually feeding the vinyl, then adjusting to make it straight. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 adjustments, but pays off.

I have cut the image before and just cut it again this morning.  It has happened with 3 different files and 2 different programs so far.  All the files were successfully cut on other occasions.  It just happens from time to time.  Ill work on the feeding issue but this is extremely wasteful so any advice you can give would be appreciated.  Ill attach the file if you still want it but how do I attach a file to a message here?

It did it again last night while cutting a new graphic.  I was cutting out 2 copies of a spongebob graphic and it cut the first one fine but then it started the second one and then just cut a straight line through the vinyl.  Lucky for me it was a very small piece this time and not a roll.  What should I do? :(

If it is doing it when cutting more than one copy, try one copy at a time. Might have something to do with the way the file is being buffered into the memory while cutting. You might also try a different connection method or another cable.

The problem is not related to multiple copies.  Even if it was Im sure it should not do it anyway.  Ill try the serial connection but I thought the parallel connection was the most reliable.  When you say a different cable do you mean maybe i got a crap cable with the machine and I should get a new one and try that?   

True, it should not do it for more than 1 copy, but in the world of computers, nobody has the same configuration as the next. Meaning: there could be several different variables in your setup that may be causing the issue. The LPT1 connection is usually the most reliable, but for troubleshooting purposes, we should try another. It is also possible that the cable is having an issue. We would not purposely send you a "crap" cable, but I am simply trying to nail down what is causing your issue.

I will try another connection if a new parallel  cable does not solve the issue.  I was not implying that you sent me a crap cable on purpose.  I understand that stuff happens in production, packing, and shipping that you have no control over.  The only thing you have control over is how the problems are dealt with when they come up.  I personally would prefer a phone number that I can call for technical assistance but thats just me.  Otherwise I love the machine and the stuff that I can do with it when it is working right..  I just hope that we can figure out what my problem is here. Thanks.  Charles Coman. 

We can be reached at 1-866-789-2919 or 425-284-2282 9am-4pm M-F Pacific Time if you would like to do some troubleshooting by phone.

:(

hey all, just got my cutter 2 days ago and on my first cut, i had the same problem. i set up the cutter,created a graphic in AI CS2,sent it to signcut,pressed 'cut out' , everything was fine. it started cutting the design, got about 3/4 of the way done and then the blade stopped and it just started feeding the roll through.cut a straight line down the roll.luckily i hit the power switch after only about 3 or 4 feet.It only happened that one time, since then i've done numerous cuts with no problem.But WTF? Did you figure out what caused this? I'm always afraid to put a full roll on for fear of going to the restroom during a big cut,only to come back and find a line cut down the whole roll :'(. An update from the original poster would be great.

Guest fivestar

Just out of curiousity, is you machine in a hot and humid place?  The reason I ask is mine does the same thing when I have it in the upstairs of my store where it is very warm and humid.  I brought it home and tried it and it worked perfect. 

I am trying to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.  Let's get some feedback from the people who is having the problems and see if we can find a solution.

My cutter is in my bedroom so it is not in a hot and humid place so that shouldnt be the issue.  I spoke to Ken about the problem and 2 of the 3 files that I had problems with had too many layers for the cutter to recognize.  By eliminating the extra layers in the graphics It seems to have solved my problem.  My only problem with this solution is that there is still one file that I had a problem with that did not have multiple layers.  It was only text.  I have successfully cut many graphics out since going over this with Ken and have had no further issues.  Take a look at the graphic that you created and make sure there is only 1 layer to it.  Hope that helps.  I am still afraid to walk away from the machine now.  Now if I could only get it to cut fine details without picking up the little pieces on the bladeholder....

Some things to check.

Have a parallel cable that works flawlessly with another printer?  Don't rule it out as the problem.    The cable that worked with my Mastercutter for years caused the US Cutter to go crazy.    New cable and the problem went away.  Same could apply to the copam. 

Don't use a cheap cable.  Your computer room is noisy.  Add in all the other junk we're likely to have connected and it's a strain for a cheap cable to clearly carry a signal.  There is a rated parallel cable and for the life of me I can't recall the rating, but it's an approved two way cable.. meets high quality specs... if all else fails, buy one. They are robust looking with fat wires and bulky connector ends.

How good is your memory?  Does your pc stay up weeks at a time?  If not,  start there.  Lots of things can interfere with communications and bad cuts are often a precursor to a crash.  So if you are crashing, you can't reliably eliminate memory corruption as being the reason for your crash.

Using a copam setting or something generic?  Major glitch can happen on a setup that might cut fine for a good while.. until that series of commands catches the cutter logic.  The one thing I've noticed about all chinese cutters,  they lack any real instruction filtering.  Send a bad series of commands to some name brand cutters and they just shut down.  The  far east models eat it right up and do whatever illogical instruction it receives.  Too bad.  The copam cutter will corrupt the plot if more data shows up before the plot is completed.  I wonder what happens if the plot can't fit in the buffer and must wait outside?;D    Could this be a glitch possibly?      I was surprised that such a fine cutter would have no management of the port once it starts cutting. 

Using USB Serial or Parallel?  Throw it out.  They are not rock solid.  I've never had one work right.  Buy a first quality IO card and run your system on the IO card.  Startech is decent.    There are others.  Skip the $8.00 non name special. 

Running an overload of resident programs?    Get some experience and try MSCONFIG which is loaded through Start - Run.  Unclick any of the start-up programs you don't need and write these down so you can undo this action.  YOu might notice substantial speed improvements also.

I hope this helps.  One of these usuually gets me out of a jam.

Bill