nonabelle

DO U REALLY NEED THIS

Available PCI-E x16 slots and what is it used for. they r putting them on new computers r they neccessary?

Guest fivestar

That is for a graphics card.  It is not necassary if you use on board graphics which is what the average Joe uses.  But for graphics designers and gamers PCI-E is a MUST.  Actually they are up to PCI-E 2.0 on the newer boards. 

But to answer your question, no you probably don't need it, but me yes I need it because I play video games on mine.  Also it is better to have a seperate graphics card as it uses its own memory and don't have to use your computers memory but most people are fine if they throw 2 gig off RAM in a machine.

Always better to have, then to get and need!

<I can just hear Shelia... "Oh shutup, Tim">  :P

Guest fivestar
:P :P :P That's right and besides she needs to get off some of that old moldy money.  Remember Sheila you can't take it with you.  ;D:) :)

firemalt haha shut up. lol

five the gas prices took all my moldy money. hehe five u got it going on.  :P

firemalt, oh i mean timothy shut up. oh did u know sleep and quiet helps the body heal faster?

it's true but funny cause u gonna heal real slow.lol

oh and thanks guys. i noticed them in the spects of some computers i was checking out.

yeah, looking again.

I am not sure that means 16 SLOTS..that would be one BIG computer.

Each PCIe slot carries either one, two, four, eight, sixteen or thirty-two lanes of data between the motherboard and the addin card. Lane counts are written with an "x" prefix e.g. x1 for a single-lane card and x16 for a sixteen-lane card. Thirty-two lanes of 250 MB/s (PCIe 1.1) gives a maximum transfer rate of 8 GB/s (250 MB/s x 32, i.e., 8 billion bytes per second) in each direction. However the largest size in common use for PCIe 1.1 is x16, giving a transfer rate of 4 GB/s (250 MB/s x 16) in each direction.

so,that's ONE x16 slot.

Available PCI-E x16 slots and what is it used for. they r putting them on new computers r they neccessary?

Extra slots never hurt. LOL

If your only using this machine for your sign biz, No need to care. If your using the machine for business and gaming your a fool to mix business with gaming on the same machine.

Extra slots never hurt. LOL

If your only using this machine for your sign biz, No need to care. If your using the machine for business and gaming your a fool to mix business with gaming on the same machine.

GUILTY.  I use mine for both...i used to have SLI with my 2 8800gts 512's but really didn't make a difference to me in both my gaming(cod 4) and all my graphics(video,PS, AI,Audio, etc.)  For what it's worth, unless you are rendering a 30 minute scene in Maya, with full lighting and textures, i think 1 good card will do the job.

Guest fivestar

Yes Charlie I agree that unless you're rendering video you should definitely be ok with one card.  As for work/gaming machine, WTF would that make you a fool?