Sign in to follow this  
coloradokev

Need help with smoothing font lines please

Hey-

I am working a store front lettering job where the customer wants the Papyrus font.  I downloaded the font, graciously posted by BannerJohn, and worked out the layout, but don't want the "raggedy" edges of the characters.

I've tried adding an inline and / or an outline, but that doesn't do the trick to make nice, clean, smooth letter edges.

Any ideas/suggestions/cures/incantations?

Thanks-

I have cut that font before and it is not as bad as it looks. It cuts pretty clean.

Thanks-

I understand the "charm" of the quasi-ancient look of this font, however; the customer already has a website, brochures and a sandblasted, wooden sign over the door using a "clean" version of this font and the two don't match, especially when cutting 3 inch letters.

So is there some way to straighten the outlines of the font without editing nodes for hours?

you could print out your text then trace over it with a sharpie. Scan it, vectorize then cut that.

If you have Illustrator you can convert the font to outlines, then use the (-)pen tool to delete the anchor points along the path that makes up the ragged edges. Once those points are gone the path will snap back between the anchor points left along the clean edge.