Sign in to follow this  
swaneejuggalo

vector magic desktop edition

I just received this via email

"Vector Magic Desktop Edition for Windows has been released!  Convert bitmaps to vector graphics on your own computer using cutting edge artificial intelligence technology.

Check it out:

<http://vectormagic.com/desktop>

Key features that set it apart from the Online Edition:

* Runs on your computer

* Single-click vectorization

* Advanced vectorization wizard with fine-grained control

* Show paths and nodes in the vector result

* Bitmap export of any size

* Transparency support

If you have made any purchases on the site, or have any current token

balance or ongoing subscription, then your full credit for these is

automatically shown and deducted from the list price.

The Macintosh version is expected to be released in the August-September

timeframe.

Have a great day!

James and Jacob"

And here's what there charging

licenses

1 - 4  $295.00 each     About

It sounds like a good program but a little too expensive for me right now.  I am still having trouble figuring out inkscape to vectorize my images.

*sigh*

Guest kenya

Vector Magic is great, but man that's high!

Inkscape works fine for me. And who can complain about it being *free*.  ;D

VM is a great producy, especially if you have to vectorize an image in color... but I would say 70% of what we all do in single color, so we can get away with using Inkscape.

If I ever have an image that Inkscape can't handle, I'd just use the online service instead of buying the $300 program.

I agree wid d'fireman ........

The vector proggie in inkscape is excellent and allows for way more anybody  might ever need. That tends to complicate it a bit ... but, what the heck.

Since Corel first hit the market in '89 I have searched for the ultimate vector program. I bought most everything that came out, and finally settled on Streamline. Then around about Corel 8 or 9 or someplace in there Corel and Streamline matched each other node for node. In the meantime as I was not satisified with what Corel was giving me or Streamline for that matter I simply set about redrawing most everything using the tools afforded in Corel.

I was not doing much sign work, mostly screen printing and virtually everything passed on to me was very poor bitmapped corporate logos and promotions. I figured out how to work the Corel tools to my favor early on and redrew much more than I ever actually successfully traced.

When I first came here a few  months ago I dl'd inkscape and I've played with it enough to realize that as with Corel one can redraw pretty quickly. The drawing tools are a little more than one needs, and the sheer number of buttons can intimadate, but play with them and you'll find that combining the trace elements with the redrawing tools you can quickly and economically reproduce almost anything.

Those that you can't, well send 'em to VM or others. But, I'd have to eye the proggie very closely before I'd spend $300 on it. For that kinda money I'd expect nothing short of miracles.

Maybe they should make a demo or something so you can see if it works, but just can't save?  Might get alot of people that way.

From my understanding, they do indeed have a demo version that has the option to save disabled.

I have tested it and I feel that inkscape doies better job you can use there as desk top but to keep the pic you need to buy it