RegisG

Vinyl for compound curves like helmet?

Is there a vinyl that will work smoothly on compound curves of motorcycle helmet?  How about Oracal 651?  Do you need to heat or is there one that will simply streech?    Is wet best?

Thanks,

Regis

You'd probably get a better response from a cast vinyl like Oracal 751 or 851.

Take your time and a lot of patience. The jet ski that I am working on has a few curves that have similar curves to it and I had to take a little bit longer than it usually take to lay something down. I did use a little bit of heat on it also, but not much. And I also did them wet.

ive done a number of helmet and i use oracal 751. you will need to heat and stretch it, but 751 stretches nicely. and i wouldnt do anything wet that requires stretching. just plan your seems carefully. and a good tip for seeming vinyl is to cut the edge of the vinyl that will be overlapping with an exacto at about a 45 degree angle. it makes the edge of the vinyl thinner with makes the seem harder to see.

cg,

Do you cut your seams whith the backing still on?  Or, as you apply?  Or plann/cut while flat on table?

Thanks for the tips

if the seem is going to be on a flat area i'll just cut it lying flat with the backing still on. but when the seem is on a curved surfase i'll lay the vinyl first(with about an inch overlapping) than i'll make the cut, with a fresh(sharp blade).

practice it a couple time first with some scrap, you dont want to cut to deep and go into the other layer of vinyl