haumana

is there a trick for inkscape to work on mac?

I'm trying to install inkscape on my mac. when i open the application, one of two things with happen - either it tells me something or another about x11 then does nothing, or x11 opens up then does nothing.

Please have patience with me. I'm a total newbie to mac and know just about nothing about how they work.

Hi Haumana I had the same problem days ago. it kept telling me I have to install x11 in order to use inkscape. I have MAC OsX 10.4(tiger) & I downloaded x11 from the Mac OS X Install disk which came with my mac when I bought it. Hope this helps.

It seems that I have x11 installed already - at least it's listed in the Utilities directory. I fire it up, but then I just get a small Xterm window that says "bash-3.2$" and then nothing happens.

I've tried starting x11, then starting up Inkscape - nothing happens. I've tried starting up x11 and dropping the inkscape icon from the applications directory to the x11 window - nothing happens. If Inkscape will tell me something or another about x11 and caching fonts, but still nothing happens beyond that.

Am I destined to just use the windows partition and run Inkscape via XP? I really want Inkscape to work on the Mac side - I want to see how it performs compared to the windows version.

help me please ... I've fallen and I can't get up!  :)

What version of OS X are you running? There are a couple of things to try regardless of the version of OS X right-click Inkscape.app and say "show contents." Go to Contents/Resources. Click on "opendoc". A script should run and eventually you'll get the UI with a blank document. After it opens the UI you should be able to close it and the terminal window and then use the Inkscape icon to get it to work.

That should get it. But you may need the latest version of X11.

Hope this helps. Be patient with OS X it is a totally different way of thinking but in my opinion totally worth it.

I'm running 10.5.4 Leopard. X11 says it's v. 2.1.1. The Inkscape was the latest version from their website 0.46.

I wend to the contents directory, there were 4 items listed: Info.plist, MacOS (folder), PkgInfo, Resources (folder). I went into the MacOS folder and double clicked on the Inkscape icon (properties says that it's a Unix Executable File (Universal). I got the same window

Inkscape on Mac OS X

While Inkscape is open, its windows can be displayed or hidden

by displaying or hiding the X11 application.

The first time this version of Inkscape is run it may take

several minutes before the main window is displayed while

font cases are built.

and a "Terminal" window opened up and this info popped in:

Last login: Mon Jul  7 16:52:47 on ttys001

/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Inkscape ; exit;

kokookolu-fellowships-macbook-pro:~ WebMac$ /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Inkscape ; exit;

logout

[Process completed]

I still get nothing, regardless how long I let X11 run.  Did I screw up the installation somehow? Or is it installed properly, and it's just a "user error"? I'm putting my money on the latter as I'm such a newbie to Mac  :)

Haumana, your mac version(leopard) is higher than my version(tiger) so I'm not sure how to help. All I can say is I got the x11 from my Mac OsX installer disk that came with buying my computer. From my experience the x11 that's available from the website is for mac(panther),which is the lower version from my mac(tiger). Hope you can get inkscape to run on your computer soon.

Im running leopard and was when i installed inkscape so I know it works we can get it to work.

When you installed it, did it go in the applications directory? You should be able to go to applications (finder, applications)  and look for inkscape.app and then right click that and show contents. The options it gave you do not sound like you clicked the right thing. After clicking show package contents there should be the contents folder. Then open that and you will see a few folders and individual files. In those files is one called opendoc.

another thing you can try is search spotlight for opendoc there may be more than one instance though but if not you can run it right from the spotlight search window.

When you click the opendoc the terminal will open and it will do some stuff before the inkscape window opens there may be some errors in the terminal (i got errors last night when I did it but that may have been because inkscape was already installed)

If you still have problems doing that i would be willing to maby do an ichat to see if i can make some more headway with it. i am not a mac genius but I can get around pretty good. You can PM me if you want to go that route.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!

I got lost at the "Opendoc" file. Basically I must've been over looking it.

You guys are the greatest! I'm relatively saavy when it comes to Windows, but am totally clueless on Mac. My only "real" Mac experience is the originall Apple ][, Apple ][e, and the very first Mac that only had the floppy / monitor / cpu all rolled into one - and the only games available were "Hacker" (which sucked), and "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego". Hahahahaha.

I'm learning. Thanks for being patient. I'm looking forward to becoming "dual-platform" trained - one more thing I can add to my skill set.  :thumbsup:

You guys totally rock!

thankyou.gif

Yea I am a windows network admin so I was totally anti mac. But my wife liked playing on myspace and some games on line and kept getting  spyware and viruses (she wouldnt let her virus scan run or do the spyware scans like I told her) so I decided to get a Macbook for her to try. A week later I had another one on the way to my house. I like the fact I dont have to do much work on my mac. When I get home I dont feel like working on my own stuff. Of course Macs are not perfect I just did a archive install literly 20 minutes ago because Ichat was not working right. But it is still alot less maintenance than windows. And they have great hardware.

Glad you got it working.