HawgDawg

T-Shirt vinyl pressing

If you have a design bigger than the heat press can you do multi pressing?

Such as a 12 x 12 press and a sleeve design 24" long

I am looking into heat press and just want to buy the right one

Dawg

Yes Dawg, you can press it by parts. I've done it. Press as much as you can the first time and then open and press whatever you have left.

It will work.

Joe

Do you overlap a small portion of the material that was already pressed? Does this damage the material?

Yes you have to mke sure you re press a bit of what you already pressed to make sure there are no portions left un pressed.

It wont damage the material if you press it twice or more times.

If you are doing more than one color, then dont press the first one for the full time, press for 4 seconds, remove backing and press the other color on top for the full time.

Joe 

Guest crshirts

Try to get the biggest press possible for the money you want to spend.

My first press was 9x12 and I use it now for only mouse pads and coasters.

You'll be much happier with a 15x15 or 12x 16.

Just my opinion.

Carl

Guest fivestar

I agree with Carl, get as big as you can afford.  I got a 16x20 and would never go back to even a 15x15.  Another way of pressing it is say you make your design 24"x4", lay it onto the sleeve diagonally (be sure you pre-press the sleeve), it will give you more then what your press is.  Say you've get 17" this way, press that then reposition the sleeve to get the remaining part under the press, press it and peel the backing off cold.

I hope this makes sense, :huh: ??? :D.

I agree with everything said, EXCEPT when we have done multi-color on shirts, we did press the FULL time for each color with NO problems.

I agree with everything said, EXCEPT when we have done multi-color on shirts, we did press the FULL time for each color with NO problems.

What vinyl brand are u using?

When you press vinyl it will shrink a little. Once I had to make the Heineken logo and I pressed the black banner for 20 secs and then when I wanted to press the whiteborder on top it wouldnt fit, because blck shrinked. Plus when you press the first color for a few seconds, it will receive the full exposure later when you press the second color.

Joe

I'm using Thermoflex Plus.  Haven't had a shrinkage problem.  I had a 2 color logo to place on a few shirts.  Maybe it depends on the temp??

I also pre-heat the shirts in advance, like you do.

Jenny

Guest fivestar

Jenny did you "butt up against" or overlay the multicolor, you don't notice it if you overlay it, just when you butt up against another color will you notice a tiny bit of shirnkage.

Five, I didn't need to butt up against, it was an overlay.  That is possible why I never noticed even a slight shrinkage!!  Thanks for that bit of advice though, it's good to know.

Jenny

This heat press stuff is like starting all over for me... I have so much to learn... again!!!  :-

This heat press stuff is like starting all over for me... I have so much to learn... again!!!  :-

IMO, heat press is easier than those decals and signs. i would rather do a t shirt anyday.

Guest fivestar

t-shirt vinyl is sooooooo much easier to work with then sign vinyl, well at least multicut and thermoflex plus is, that spectra cut II junk stuff isn't.

fivestar, we r not talking about spectra cut ll.vspectra eco film, multicut, and thermoflex r all good vinyls for t shirts.