Alillowr

I need to email an image of what I just converted into vector

I just converted a jpg into a vector using trace bitmap.  And all worked just fine, I got it to look how I want it.  Now I have to email my customer the image for approval.  Previously I was just using illustrator and it had an option to export the file as a jpg which I would use to email.  How can I get this to work.  It looks like I can only export it as a png file.

I just ventured into trying out this program today, im a real newb sorry for the basic quetion.

Guest Terry

save as eps in inkscape.... open in illustrator.....export as jpeg.

I dont think illustrator will work in ubuntu.  I am looking for a solution while staying in the linux invironment.  I just tried gimp and it works. but is there anyway to do it only in inkscape?  I would like to save myself an extra step if I could.

You can export an .jpg from Inkscape.

Can you tell me how?  I dont see that option anywhere .

If you can save it to PDF that is best and fastest to transfer. There are options in Corel to publish tp PDF, I'm not sure about Illustrator. There are some places online where you can get documents converted to PDF for free, but I don't know about graphics. I'll see if I can find something, if I can I will post it back here.

Here's a forum for PDF ..

http://www.planetpdf.com/

Here's a link to one of the free PDF publishing proggies. Best thing about PDF is that anybody can open it, and it gives a mirror like image of your creation. One thing that you must keep in mind when publishing to PDF is that everything in your image must fit on the "page". So if your image is bigger than standard letter or legal or tabloid, just make the image fit on the page or make the page bigger. That is the only "trick".

http://www.primopdf.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

To import and image into Inkscape, first open the program, then hold down the "ctrl" button and then press the "i" button. Find the image you're looking for and click on open, or double click on the image. From there, hold down the "shift" button, the "alt" button, and then push the "b" button, this will open the window to vectorize the image.

If it's one color(easiest to convert), use the arrows to adjust the thinkness/darkness of the image, click on the "update" to check the changes. Once you have the image where you want it, click on "okay", and then you have to manually close that box.

Now you have the original image and the new vectorized image on top of each other. Click you mouse somewhere on the screen away from both images to unselect either image. If the original image had a white area, click on that area, and this will select the original image. Either press the delete button, or drag the original away and then delete it... it's no good to you anymore ;D

To save your new vectorized image as a .eps(which is what is needed to cut), go to the top menu and click on "file". Scroll down to "save as", and click. Change the file name to what you love, and find a nice safe place to save it at, and click okay or save, whichever it is(I don't have access to a computer with inkscape right now, so I'm just going off of memory). A few more options pop up, but just keep clicking okay/save.

When you go to close Inkscape, it will ask you if you want to save the image as a .svg(Inkscape's image version)... I typically click on the "continue without saving", but that's completely up to you.

Hope that helps, and hope that's what you were looking for... if not, I just wasted five minutes, lol.