Welp, got the Refine MH 721 today as you guys know. I got that bad boy grounded nice to. BUT, got a prob similar (close) to that PCUT I sent back. This is a tad different though.

When it cuts, say a letter or any design, right where it closes ... it shoots off to the left or the right a few hairs. So it cuts into or away from the graphic. Even when I cut letters. I have tried all the solutions that I tried with my previous model, read the SB and Flexi forums as well as tried it on a laptop and my uber super tower with a 550watt continuous modular power supply.

In both SB and Flexi PRO, I have tried 0.00 / 0.000 worked down from .25/.025. The higher I go the worse it gets. Grounding and power are not issues. When the machine arrived today the carriage was off the tracks but I put it back on track.

What you guys think?

PS. this cutter is much nicer than the PCUT from the stand up! I love the quality! Sorry PCUT guys.  :o

Paul

Yeah, I've tried my Roland blades as well as the Roland's it came with.

I don't know what degree they are but my Roland can cut with them all.

I can't tell you how much more I like this Refine than the other model. Mine does sound like the space ship about to crash but it is actually quiter than the PCUT. My Roland sounds like R2D2, lol.

Thanks for the suggestion T.

I used a sharpy on some crappy paper to illustrate. I hope this comes up for you all.

The reason I say.00 and then .000 is just the diff between SB and Flexi.

HMMMMMMMM  :o

post-2314-12986520047743_thumb.jpg

post-2314-12986520064747_thumb.jpg

that's weird but I"ve seen that problem before on here...can't remember what the solution was. Maybe do a bit of reading? I don't think it was too far back.

Blade and pressure adjustment is a big deal

I think the offset should be .25 not .025

I agree

Hmm, I tried 0.042 and went all the way down to 0.001 lol. Cutting force is now down to 20 and speed is at 8.

Whatchya think I should try next guys? I looked in the forums for a post I saw a couple of weeks ago that was similar to my problem but I can't remember where it was. I'll keep looking.

We've gatta be gettin close, (think positive, happy thoughts) I feel it. :)

Paul

Ok, I tried that and got something like my sharpie drawing but not as extreme. I went up to .40 and down to .10. It just changes how extreme the extra cut is and the curve of it.

Hit me again John! I aint giving up yet!

PS. Thanks for your help.

post-2314-12986520093379_thumb.jpg

post-2314-12986520108613_thumb.jpg

Does your cutter allow you to set the offset in the cutter itself (I know the Copam I have does)?  If so, make sure it is not set both in the cutter and in the software.

Well, 2330 hours (11:30 PM) my time. Started at 1:30 today. Much vinyl wasted and forum reading to no avail.

Wheels on track,

Rails not bent,

Well grounded,

Belt tight,

Lubed blade with lithium grease,

Tried offsets from 0.001-0.070 and 0.01-0.60,

Changed baud rate to 4800 and back to 9600,

Tried SB and Flexi 8 Pro,

Tried two computers,

Tried cutting speeds from as low as 8 and force as low as 20.

HeHe, at least my 721 has custom font. It made a new type of "A" today.

I lost my big job tonight as well. They will be going somewhere else.  :'(

I guess the PCUT and the refine are made by the same factory just branded different. Bummer, I liked this 721 from the moment I opened the box.

I'm done for tonight. 10 hours of this is frustrating. On the possitive note, I do have a MH 721 that has built in custom fonts lol.  :)

post-2314-12986520093658_thumb.jpg

post-2314-12986520108743_thumb.jpg

Hiya T,

Here is a screenie of SB settings.

All the cuts I made were from actual fonts. I just can't weed them to sow people what is happening so I drew the results on paper with a sharpie to illustrate what is going on. The baud rate is back to 9600 now and the result I get when cutting example the "A" above is what I drew with a sharpie.

post-2314-12986520093911_thumb.jpg

post-2314-12986520108888_thumb.jpg

Bah, when the cutter is connect to computer it is actually COM 4, not blazer. Sorry it was unplugged when I took that screenie.

I don't mean to but in here... but, do NOT use grease to lubricate the blade... it will make it stick.

Clean the holder and blade with solvent then add a drop of light weight oil... like 3in1 or a light sewing machine oil.

I still haven't seen where you've adjusted the blade depth and pressure using the attached doc. It makes a HUGE difference.

Use a pen in your cutter to plot your examples... that way you won't waste ALL that vinyl.

Respectfully

Blade Adjustment-rev-01.pdf

Blade Adjustment-rev-01.pdf

Thanks Popeye. I tried your attached file before but I already had that knowledge.

The problem is now fixed.

I networked it using a PC that has a serial port, then used Flexi instead of SB and dropped the offset to 0.001.

It now cuts almost as good as my Roland but you can tell the quality is not the same. It now cuts really nice.

Just a heads up, the lithium grease works great if you get the right kind. It is not greasy like you think grease would be. Very thin and oily. The grease I use is perfect for cutters. The oils such as 3 and 1 (which is great around the house) will eventually drip down. If you get a good "WHITE" lith grease, it holds the oil within it's compound. It stays put. Been cutting for 6 years bro. :) Just not with an economy cutter.

I appreciate all the help that everybody has given me. Ultimately I resolved it myself but without forum users, It would have been harder.

Paul

great! and thanks for posting the solution for others to see.

Guest Terry

one more for the serial port.  :) :)

I just bought a 766 mhz computer on ebay, with serial port...usb... 128mb memory (easy and cheap to upgrade) for less than $40 including shipping. And this was BUY IT NOW.SEller has excellent feedback so I am not worried. This would be a perfect machine to use with the cutter as a DEDICATED machine with nothing else on it. IT's a small for factor,too. Not much desk top real estate taken up.

No reason to fool with trying to make things work on a computer without serial when they can be had that cheap.

Just my 2p worth.

Guest Terry

You and I both have said it ALL along.  :)

You and I both have said it ALL along.  :)

I would say 'great minds think alike' but I don't want to give you the big head (or BIGGER head) but the reality is,it's just common sense. BTW,the dealer still has a few of those..PM me for a link,anyone.

What are they Dells?

Nope..Compaq Ipaqs. I am on a 4 year old Compaq right now, it is my main PC...never a problem. I did replace the power supply but I do that with all store-bought computers. It is the weak link.