Sign in to follow this  
osrbikes

Noobie having lots of trouble with Laserpoint 36 HELP

Just purchased a US Cutter LP36-- got it in yesterday and was all pumped to start cutting-- WRONG

I could not believe what little instructions came with the unit-- no stand assembly instructions, no blade installation -- pretty much nothing.

I tried to use my laptop and USB drive to connect to the cutter-- i put one blank disc that came with it in and it had drivers on it-- I plugged the USB cord in the cutter then in the cpu-- almost right away I got a blue screen and it said the cpu was preparing to shut down and something about a dump-- cpu works perfect until the usb is plugged in.

I jumped on here for a few minutes and read that I should use the serial cable-- well my laptop doesn't have a connection for that serial cable-- I'm not the smartest guy with cpus so I'm not sure do they make a 9 pin-25 pin adapter and if so can I use that?;D??

Please help[ I just want to cut stuckers.

I have a lot of experience with NC equipment (a plotter is just a simple 2 axis NC) and inevitably laptops have issues.  Even when they have serial ports (older ones) I have had about a 50% success rate with them.

Your experience is 100% opposite of mine.  Desktop, plugged in to serial, loaded software and boom,  cutting.

I would first, find a desktop,  it does not need to be fancy,  can build a new one for 300 or use a buddies spare.  Keep this computer for dedicated cutting.  Blade installation and setting instructions are on this forum.

My laptop is a new dell xps1210-- less than a year old-- will it not work-- don't feel like getting another cpu and don't really have much space to work with.

It should work....I don't know why you got the error you did when plugging in your USB.

It's just that I have found and spent many an hour messing with laptop serial ports (or lack thereof) and then a small inexpensive desktop worked perfectly.  I would not give up on it but if you can test it with a desktop and serial, it may be helpful.