rebjr

New Virus

If you wipe the HD,and the virus is still there,it's being put back there when you load something you've backed up. MIT did a study awhile back that said things can live on the memory for about 20 seconds or so,once you shut the PC down.

On a side note... I haven't had a virus in 5 years. I use Opera as my browser...,it doesn't use ActiveX which is how most of you IE people get your viruses.

I haven't had one virus on any of my pcs using explorer or outlook. I do look real hard before I leap though.

Steve Gibson, inventor of SpinRite and a leading security expert, doesn't even run an anti-virus. He says,as you said..that if you are careful and know what you are doing,you don't need it.

BannerJ,

I agree it is being put back on when we install something back to it. Trying to narrow that down is a bugger gear. This virus reports back to the 17th as when it started. I am amazed that none of the major have written a definition for it yet. Or that there isn't more talk on the web, loads of folks have it, loads of the same old suggestions.

I have not had a virus on my personal computer in probably 5 years or better, using AVG free. I put Kaspernsky on the daughter and grandkids computers and it keeps them cleaner than clean.

This one is still giving us fits. 2 more computers came in today infected with the same virus. I think that makes 19 since last week.

Knobhill,

Gotcha, we have done that. Problem is that thru today when I left the shop none of the anti-virus folks had a definition for this virus as of yet. So, booting to the cd didn't do us any good.

I'm just a basic mechanic, but the guy who owns the shop has 20+ years at computers, presently he is the IT for over 60 businesses here in town and on the fringes constituting over 300 computers. He said he's not seen one as nasty as this, after spending the day trying to get rid of it. He's a direct AVG reseller (although we only put AVG Free on computers, except for businesses) and was on the horn with them a bit, but no anwers beyond .. they were working on it.

I love Kapernsky. He tried to set up as a direct reseller with them, but they signed a deal with some large marketing company who wanted him to buy all of his components/repair parts/etc. thru them in order to resell Kapersky. Told 'em to fly a kite, signed with AVG and sold 60 in 1 week. I have Kapernsky at home, love it.

We ran Kapernsky on this thing, it does as the rest did, picks up the superficial, the "bs.exe" and the "planet.inf" but neither is the parent virus. I don't like these defensive viruses, is the cost of the industry advancing. I had 3 on my bench Monday, all with virus attacks, all requiring reloads, figured it'd be a nice little bit of work.

They still are there.

Sounds like it got you. As I previously posted, I don't rely on only one anti virus program, and I will not boot from the infected drive for a clean up. In your case I'd be looking for the source of the infection until a solution is given to you.

We are (3) of us in a desperate knock-down-dragout to find the source. It also has a filr "autorun.inf or autorun.dui" associated to it. I just installed kapersky and it removes it, less than 3 seconds later it is back in the same spot .. the "autorun" file. The shop giru is gonna rewire the shop today to where all 4 work benches will have there own link/hardware firewall/etc. to prevent it from jumping from one bench to another as it just did.

We have found a file in the recycler bin (in c drive, not the desktop recycle bin) that if you can delete it seems to cure the problem. Of course, the problem is deleteing it, we have successfully done so on only 1 computer.

Thanks for all you guys help, my main alert was so you folks could watch for it. But, a lot of help came about, nonw which helped in this case, but all which will/may help in the future.

Guest Terry

Never seen anything like it, but theer are others like it that I removed with almost the same name but the last two letters are different. Hope your are a different computer here posting.  :angel: just kidding.

TWO LETTER DIFFERENCE.

post-0-12986519834617_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986519854892_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Terry .. similiars abound. We found today that it doesn't affect VISTA, finally something VISTA is good at. Actually, we can also hook up the dirives to our Vista tech stations and delete the files and they do not come back. So, we figured a way to delete them but I'm not sure that is the answer.

We'll see come Tuesday. Computers take second seat for the next couple of days.

Hope you all have a happy holiday, Slow Hand Salute to those who served, and most especially those who gave their all.