Sign in to follow this  
dcwaits

I'm New to Vinyl cutting

I just bought a used US Cutter 25"inch MH-series Vinyl Cutter.  The SignCut-x2 software expired between the time I bought the cutter and the time I got some vinyl to try it on.  Can someone recommend the software that is the best value for my money.  I am familiar with computers and Photoshop, but don't know much about cutting vinyl. 

Welcome to the forums, I had no idea that it would expire... I use SBE, it came with my cutter and I, personally really love it...

Wayne

I think you can buy Sign Blazer Elements through US Cutter for $99.00

It's a graphics program and cutter software rolled into one. Simple yet effective  :)

If the Signcut came with the cutter,it shouldn't expire at all. When you register it,you get a choice of 3 years of the premium version,or unlimited of the basic.

If you are using a MAC, SB... unless they have done a plug-in...won't work for you.

I did vinyl years back, and graphics/screen printing/promotions for over 20 years. I have just gotten back into vinyl to help a divorced daughter get started in something that will offer her a future. So, I'm an old hand .. but, not nearly as experienced as a lot of folks on this forum with today's wizardry. But, my experience so far opts for SignCut as a great overall program for cutting.

First, at $67 a year it is more than affordable. Second it allows a world of versatility as far as using it in conjunction with other programs. And, it is very flexable and easy to move from one machine to another without any delays.

SBE, from my limited experience is too limiting. It forces you to print from it's drivers, which in my case is not desirable as I own an LP24 and bought it specifically to contour cut. There are a few other things I didn't like in SBE, but again as it's with limited experience I'll not voice that now, there are plenty of folks with much more experience than I have with SBE.

In either case I recommend that you use a serial cable for your connection. The usb, usb to serial both seem to have some problems which you will note on the forums. I eliminated all of my problems with my LP by doing a serial to serial ...

The machines themselves are limited as they are not recognized as printers, as are rolands, and other more expensive machines. If they were recognized as printers you could use virtually any graphics program that you are familiar with (vector, not raster based) to cut your vinyl. I beleive that Ken told me that the MH series could use Roland drivers which would allow you to cut direct from Corel, A&L, Inkscape, Illustrator, etc. I have tried several of the roland drivers with my LP with no luck :-(

However, for the money you can't beat the US Cutter products, and now that they have added Graphtec at rock bottom prices they are gonna smoke everybody in the industry. And the support is excellent, beyond approach by anybody I have dealt with in the past 30 years.