Sign in to follow this  
motoxguy

Outlining an image

I am having a heck of a time with this. I have a simple vector image of a skull. Im trying to create an outline around it. The only thing I can find regarding this was to use the outset or offset path commands. Problem is when I select my vector and go into node mode as instructed, then do my outset for an outline, it outlines every single line in the image not just the border. I cannot figure this out. There has to be an easy way to do this but I cant figure it out. Anyone that can help?

Trying to figure this out.  But in the meantime, you may want to try an affect that I do know about using Inkscape.  You can use the Fill feature, but set the "Grow/shrink by" in the toolbar.  Setting a negative number will allow you to fill the picture, but to leave a gap between the outer edge of the fill area and the fill itself.  I tried it on your graphic...and it created a cool affect.

I'll keep looking into the best way to do the outline trace, though.

skull4_filled.svg

skull4_filled.svg

See if this works for you.  I had to use Illustrator to do it. 

1. Opened up in Illustrator and made a copy to work from (so I could keep original intact).

2. Converted copy to an outline using Pathfinder (Pathfinder -> Outline)

3. Selected outer line only

4. Created offset using Effect|Path|Offset (used offset of 20pt)

5. Increased stroke weight of offset line to 12pt

6. Duplicated offset line (Copy/Paste) in order to create an isolated copy of the new offset line

7. Overlaid offset line on original drawing

8. Expanded appearance of offset line (Object|Expand|Appearance)

9. Select offset line and original drawing and group together.

Once I figured out how to do it, repeating the process only took a minute to do.  Hope this helps.

Edit: Figured out how to do this in Inkscape.  See next post.

skull4_outline.svg

skull4_outline.svg

Here is how you outline an object in Inkscape.  Ready?

1. Open vector image in Inkscape and make duplicate of original image (copy/paste).  That way you can work on the duplicate image.

2. Choose View|Display Mode|Outline.  This makes it easier to do the following steps.

3. Select duplicate image, then choose Path|Break Apart.

4. Choose the node selector (Edit paths by nodes (F2) ).

5. Select outside line of vector image.

6. Copy/paste the selected outside line. Keep this selected for all the following steps.

7. Choose View|Display Mode|Normal.  The outlined image should look completely filled in.

8. Choose Object|Fill and Stroke (Ctrl + Shift + F).

9. On Fill tab, choose No Paint icon (X).

10. On Stroke Paint tab, choose Flat Color icon.

11. On Stroke Style tab, set desired Width (i.e. 12px).

12. Set Outset by selecting Path|Outset.  This will move the selected line outward from the current position.

13. Turn the stroke into a path by selecting Path|Stroke to Path.

14. Position the outline around the original object.  You can use alignment tools to get it just right.

15. Select all components of the final image and choose Path|Union.

Ive tried all the above and cannot seem to get it to work. Here is an example. The left part is an example of the basic image, the right is what the final cut would be. I will need to do this on a regular basis.

post-2420-12986519350619_thumb.jpg

post-2420-12986519371698_thumb.jpg

Almost. It needs to be just as the yellow portion of my jpg shows, and I cant seem to get it. The last arrow you did looks correct, but the cutting program cuts around each line creating two borders instead of one.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are looking for.  You don't want it to cut on both sides of each line?  You just want it to cut two lines total (the inside and the outside lines)?  If so, see if this is what you are looking for.

arrow.svg

arrow.svg

Yup that is what Im looking for! How did you do this? Not used to vector programs I guess, its easy in Photoshop. I can usually figure this stuff out easily, not this time lol. I have Illustrator CS3 and Inkscape.

Just take your image in Inkscape, remove the fill, add a stroke around the vector image, then create a new fill (with the fill bucket icon) using the "Grow/shrink by" settings (on the toolbar) with a negative value (i.e. 5pt).  This will create a line inside the image.  This fill feature bases the quality of the result off the size of the image it can see on the screen, so make sure your window is maximized and the image fills the screen.  This will provide the best result.

That gets the cuts right. The only problem I have now is that the inside line does not remain sharp like the outside, it curves a bit at points

Looks like some areas are curved, while others can be avoided by started with a thin stroke on the outside before you do the fill to create the inner stroke.  I also found better results when I made the image larger on my screen before doing the fill feature.

Any other curved lines can be edited fairly easily by using the node tool.  Once you get that tool down, it's pretty easy to use.

This will work for you:

1. Open in Inkscape.

2. Remove Fill from image and add light stroke to image (i.e. 0.5px)

3. Make duplicate of image.

4. Using duplicate image (and in Node mode), create Inset (Path|Inset).  The default is 2px each time you use Inset, so repeat as many times as needed.

5. Now use the alignment tools to center the Inset line with the original.  Group together.

That works well, thanks a ton for all your help. Now I can get busy on some designs. One problem solved and another one created however, the image wont cut correctly. The cutting lines have breaks/circles in them in a few spots after importing into SignBlazer. I posted that info in the SignBlazer forum as Im thinking it must be an issue/setting in that app. Hopefully I can get this all figured out and start working!

Thanks alot for the graphics help!!