Sign in to follow this  
slopchops

DUH!!

Along with knocking my cutter over and breaking a part, I went down to Radio Shack to buy a new converter cable for my left side of my cutter. The cable that came w/ my uscutter fit the cutter but would not fit my laptop computer outlet. Cutter is 9 prong and the computer is 16 prong. Won't fit.

So I bring home my new $40.00 Gigaware USB-A to Serial Cable.

They fit.

I pulled up a design I had cut before and went to-on line - to cutter- to set up-to cut to cut tile. Nothing would happen.

So I opened comm setting and went through the entire list before finding  com 4 is the only one that would go through the motions of cutting on the screen but not on the cutter.

The cutter is on and is online. No movement. Oh woe is me, now what?  :'(

well,if the cutter main board  isn't damaged.....you are at least making progress. Maybe someone on here that uses the adapter has a suggestion?

Guest Terry

Without using ANY software... Tell me if it will do a test cut from the cutter led itself.

Did you get a driver with it? Are you using SBE or SC? SC needs to have a driver downloaded, or installed from the "generic" cd that came with the cutter when you bought it.

Hey, and don't worry about the CRS, you aren't the only one here wot carries a tad of it on his shoulders. And, it's something that most all of the young pups on here will face one day or another if they live long enuff. ;-)

Without using ANY software... Tell me if it will do a test cut from the cutter led itself.

Yes, it did do a test cut.

Did you get a driver with it? Are you using SBE or SC? SC needs to have a driver downloaded, or installed from the "generic" cd that came with the cutter when you bought it.

Hey, and don't worry about the CRS, you aren't the only one here wot carries a tad of it on his shoulders. And, it's something that most all of the young pups on here will face one day or another if they live long enuff. ;-)

Sorry guy, I don't speak computer very well and I really don't know what you are talking about. It came with a driver cd-rom disc which I installed. Whether it works or not :thumbsup:?:D?:D?

Whats CRS?

Guest Terry

If it did a test cut I would say your cutter is fine, now you may have a communication problem. Right click on my computer icon, choose properties, choose hardware, tell me if anything has a yellow ( ? ) or a red ( X )

Guest fivestar

Did your cable come with a cd?  If so run the cd and install the drivers.  Go to your "device manager" by "right mouse clicking" on "my computer" then left mouse click "properties" then click the "hardware" tab then device manager button.

Once you get there, scroll down to the USB Devices and click the + beside it, you should see a USB to serial connection in there, see what comm port it is set to and it should have a baud rate make sure them all match with what is set in your cutting software, if not change it in your cutting software to match.  This is all off of memory so it may be a little different as I don't have a USB to serial connection.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Guest fivestar

Terry you type faster then me.  ;

Guest Terry

No, I forgot one step... Device manager.  :thumbsup:

Did your cable come with a cd?  If so run the cd and install the drivers.  Go to your "device manager" by "right mouse clicking" on "my computer" then left mouse click "properties" then click the "hardware" tab then device manager button.

Once you get there, scroll down to the USB Devices and click the + beside it, you should see a USB to serial connection in there, see what comm port it is set to and it should have a baud rate make sure them all match with what is set in your cutting software, if not change it in your cutting software to match.  This is all off of memory so it may be a little different as I don't have a USB to serial connection.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

OK I did all you said. At ports (com and Ltp) Radio shack USB TO SERIAL CABLE (COM 6)

I went to my cutter settings and put the setting on com 6.

I get a message: cannot open the output device. Error initializing cutter.

I also get this same message on ALL the coms and ltps I try.

Guest fivestar

As Terry said, there is no yellow ! or red X, correct?  If not did you restart the computer?  You shouldn't have to do this, but with windows there's alot of things you shouldn't have to do, but still have to. :thumbsup:  If all them are correct, then try unplugging the USB to serial adaptor from the puter, restarting and then plugging it back in.  Also maybe try plugging it into a different USB port.

As Terry said, there is no yellow ! or red X, correct?  If not did you restart the computer?  You shouldn't have to do this, but with windows there's alot of things you shouldn't have to do, but still have to. :thumbsup:  If all them are correct, then try unplugging the USB to serial adaptor from the puter, restarting and then plugging it back in.  Also maybe try plugging it into a different USB port.

No yellow or red Xs. Computer was restarted. I tried unplugging and used another port. Don't know what else to do. :'( :'(

Guest fivestar

Ok, are you hooking the USB to serial adaptor straight from the computer to the cutter, if so try using the cable that came with the cutter between the adaptor and cutter.  I read somewhere that they use a null serial cable.  Not sure if this is true but don't hurt to try.

I suggest getting your money back for the cable purchased and using an old school serial adapter(gender bender) for the original cable. Much cheaper and should work with normal setup after making sure the settings are the same between the 'puter and the cutter. Verify your serial pin count.

Guest fivestar

I suggest getting your money back for the cable purchased and using an old school serial adapter(gender bender) for the original cable. Much cheaper and should work with normal setup after making sure the settings are the same between the 'puter and the cutter. Verify your serial pin count.

How is he to use a gender bender if he doesn't have a serial port on his puter?

Ok, are you hooking the USB to serial adaptor straight from the computer to the cutter, if so try using the cable that came with the cutter between the adaptor and cutter.  I read somewhere that they use a null serial cable.  Not sure if this is true but don't hurt to try.

One is broke at the cutter connection, the other will not fit my computer. Thats why I had to go buy an adapter.

Guest Terry

I would keep the broken cutter, and TRASH all laptops for cutting. No port junk yuppie kids toy unstable park bench wireless f#@!$ing pieces of sh!t, Buy a tower, a real MANS computer with the works.  :thumbsup:

I would keep the broken cutter, and TRASH all laptops for cutting. No port junk yuppie kids toy unstable f#@!$ing pieces of sh!t, Buy a tower, a real MANS computer with the works.  :thumbsup:

I totally agree!!! You sacrifice power, ports,even optical drives,(in some cases)..pay MORE FOR LESS...all for portability and the 'cool' factor. If you are serious about cutting, a good desktop for a cutter can be had for under $400.

Guest fivestar

One is broke at the cutter connection, the other will not fit my computer. Thats why I had to go buy an adapter.

The cable that came with the cutter should fit into the adaptor's serial port and into the cutter. Use both the adaptor you bought and the cable that came with the cutter.  I do agree with Terry and John, go use a desktop for the cutter, but let's see if we can't get 'er running with the lappy using the configuration I said here.

The cable that came with the cutter should fit into the adaptor's serial port and into the cutter. Use both the adaptor you bought and the cable that came with the cutter.  I do agree with Terry and John, go use a desktop for the cutter, but let's see if we can't get 'er running with the lappy using the configuration I said here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have used towers and a laptop. I really don't see any difference in performance except for the problem I have put on the board.

This morning I called in a computer technician and we struggled with it for three hours going over everything I have already done.

The man finally left in disgust and I accomplished nothing. He knew no more than I did about this problem.

So I took Ken's advise, pulled off the end of the cutter to get at the connection to send it in for replacement/resoder and got down to two screws which look like they were dipped in glue to keep them from vibrating loose? and both promptly stripped out.

I quit drinking several years ago but now.................

:'( :'( :'( :'(

No idea about those. I would take the entire mainboard out and send it back.

these days,everyone wants their laptops to be thinner and lighter. So now they don't come with serial ports,they tend to get too hot...plus,feature wise,you pay much MORE for a laptop than a desktop. Last year my brother bought a new desktop for himself ($500) and a new laptop for his daughter ($900). His desktop CPU is a 2.4ghz,hers is a 1.7. Sunday,she dropped the laptop,broke the screen...replacement cost: $350....IF they can find a screen for that model.

THAT is why I use desktops.

Guest Terry

no room for add ons, you ever see a battery blow-up in one? not pretty. sony took the legs off a few, home burnt down from one etc... pile of junk. unless your a business person who DOES need one, travel.

Once a year I go to the beach. I have a 450mhz gateway laptop with a wireless card...It was $90 on ebay including case,manual, restore CD's.etc. It works fine for what I need it for. Keeping up with my ebay and website sales. 51 weeks of the year it sits and gathers dust.

I switched three cables before I found a good cable(good One). Go to Office Max and purchase the gold ended usb cable solved my problems.

I have just recently pirchased a laptop for my sign business and can see no difference in performance. Office Max also offer a usb on one end and a parallel pot end

for $40.00

Darrell