Sign in to follow this  
polarkiss

Help me with wet application

I just can't seem to do it right.  I've got the solution mixed up, the substrate all clean and prepped.  Using paper app tape (not plastic).  I squeegee the hell out of it, wait a bit, try to pull the app tape off.  No go.

Squeeze it more. Wait longer.  Still wont stick.

Squeeze it like you need blood from a turnip. Wait longer.  Still wont stick.

Help me realize the errors of my ways, oh wise ones.

I've got a real big car hood job to do and I really need it to work wet.

what kind of vinyl? what is the substrate? what did you clean the substrate with? what was the ratio for your solution? Did you do a shot of quervo prior to starting?

Oracal 651, Substrate is a car hood.  Thoroughly washed, then cleaned with alcohol to remove any residue.

2 drops of dishsoap to gal of water.

I think I need that shot of quervo now.

Let me ask you this, after you squeezed it out did you spray a coat of solution on top of the transfer tape? I usually do that and it will make the transfer tape release from the vinyl...I spray it and wait a few minutes and then try to remove the tranfer tape...Hope this helps...

Rick

Guest fivestar

Yes I always spray the tape after I squeegee it and then rub my hand over it vigorously and you can feel the glue releasing.  Also I use straight water, seem to have better luck the with dish soap added.

You may want to a splash or two of rubbing alcohol to your solution. Spraying the back side of the app tape sure does help to release. What kind of wax is used on the hood? I use rapid prep on the vehicles I have done so far and then had the customer wax his car a few days later. Still waiting on bannerjohn to give me a recipe for rapid prep...  :thumbsup: