Sign in to follow this  
haumana

biometric locks and/or dead bolts

Does anyone here have them, use them, sell them or service them?

I'm considering going this route for the house that I'm moving into. Just wanted to hear peoples' opinion on it. I know they're not cheap, but was wondering if it would be worth the cost.

I originally considered (and am still considering) going the route of double cylinder deadbolts. I'm thinking if someone really wants to steal my stuff, I'm going to make them take it out the window rather than gaining access to the house and walking right out the door.  :thumbsup:

Guest Terry

I never heard of them, but we have German Shepherds here, they are welcome to come in anytime they want to steal stuff.  :thumbsup:

I'll clean up the chum bait when I get home.  ;D

Still haven't decided what kind of knobs/levers and deadbolts to get. I didn't realize there is a thing called "bumping" where it's easy for someone to access your house via this means of (pseudo) picking. Looks like I might need to step-up my game with security. I spent a few hours last night researching different lock manufacturers and their technology. This is not going to be a cheap process to replace everything, but in the long run it'll give me some peace of mind.

We're going to have two dogs (golden mix & a yellow lab) 'patrolling' the outside, but we haven't quite figured out where we'll be putting up the gates to block them from the driveway. Unfortunately the yellow lab isn't smart enough to know to stay away from the driveway if the gate is open. He's a runner and while they both bark a good scare, they both will willing jump into any door or tailgate that happens to be open on anyone's vehicle. The two we'll have patrolling the inside - one is more preoccupied with napping in a cool spot, and the other will be inclined to sit atop the back of the couch so she can stare outside to the road and watch the world pass before her eyes (see photo example). They all bark when appropriate, but can easily be bribed with scooby snacks, or easily distracted with the word, "biscuit". Loyalty only goes as far as who has the tastiest food (sigh).

post-1552-12986518575047_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518575445_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518587935_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518588255_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518612794_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518613378_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518627568_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986518627983_thumb.jpg

My brother is a locksmith and has a shop in Springfield,Tn. If you want to e-mail him and get his option his address is locksmith0911@aol.com

Mahalo! If you think he really wouldn't mind providing a professional opinion. I'll tell him that you'll cut a bunch of stickers for him  :thumbsup:

I want "Zero" aka The Runner!!! Gorgeous dog... how old is he/she, 1 or 2 years?

i like zero too, he or she looks exactly like my dog whose name is pepsi. he's good security for me. :thumbsup:

Zero is a boy, named after Jack Skellington's dog (Nightmare Before Christmas). He's just about 3 years now. We were fortunate to be the 3rd (and final) owner before he was 9 months old. We immediately saw why others weren't so hesitant to part with him. He immediately chewed just about every plant and shrub we had down to the stump. Played with their stalks, stems and branches like they were fetch sticks. Turned all the grass we had on the side of our house into his own personal mud slip'n'slide. Then proceeded to dig up all of my native Hawaiian taro that I was growing my little wetland pond (that's why he's all muddy in the photo), and current enjoys jumping at the fruits on all of our mature fruit trees (avocados, mangoes, lilikoi (passion fruit), guavas - you name it, if it's edible (and if it's not, but taste really, really good) he'll eat it.

I once used a small block of a 4"x4" post to prop open the door to the laundry room. When I came back to rotate my laundry, the door was shut and Zero made off with the block of wood thinking it was some kind of chew toy.

Funny thing is that he is absolutely scared of almost everything. My mini-schnauzer mix, Hina, stares at him and bark, then he gets all freaked out and runs away - usually banging into things as he tries to escape as fast as he can. He loves to bark at our Sun Conure, but when I take the bird out for a bath or to play with him, Zero barks constantly until I bring the bird down to eye-level with him. The the bird proceeds to open up his bill, without a sound, and that's enough to freak him out and again, he tries to escape banging into stuff.

Of course loud sounds, lightning, nor thunder have any affect on him whatsoever. He is definitely his own little personality, but he's very good natured. Just a little too rambunctious for small kids though. He has no clue as to the size he actually is. He often times tries to squeeze through the very small doggie door we have inside the house for the two little dogs to access our lanai. Most times he gets stuck, but it doesn't really stop him from trying every time we let him into the house.

It's just zero.

that's so cool. my dog pepsi is about ten years old, and yes he loves children and to play. we had to train him not to run and jump on u like he only weight a pound. one day i was taking out the trash in a summer dress mini of course and he ran to jump on me and knock me totally down all u could see was everything under my dress, i was so ashamed for my husband was entertaining some of his friends. so after that in about a week he was trained not to do that. now he runs to u but stops when he gets to u and gentle pulls up his paw letting u know he wants to stand. everybody loves pepsi, and he's usally ok with females but men he wants to ravage. i also have a lap dog that looks similiar to banner johns whos name is daisy. thanks for sharing that for i love dogs. :thumbsup:

Haumana... you need to read a book called "Marley and Me".

I've only owed one dog in my life(from about 18 to 29). He was a mix between German Shepard & Alaskan Malamute... HUGE!! I can't wait to own another one, which will be atleast a pair of labs, but with my fire dept. schedule I can't have them until my girlfriend moves in.

Guest Terry

Haumana... you need to read a book called "Marley and Me".

I've only owed one dog in my life(from about 18 to 29). He was a mix between German Shepard & Alaskan Malamute... HUGE!!

That is kind of how they came up with the Shiloh Shepherd breed.  :thumbsup:  http://www.shilohshepherds.org/

I will tell my brother you may e-mail him.  As for the free stuff-- I have already done the lock van & a race car and he still is wanting more.  Aren't brothers great