jmas

Rough measurements for 05 mustang stripes?

Does anyone happen to know how much vinyl this would take?

http://www.stangmods.com/Vinyl-10-Dual-Racing-Stripes-05-09-Mustang-p/5115.htm

I work at a body shop and my cutter is at home. I usually pre-measure things, make them at home and bring them to work to install and I always have plenty of lead time, usually a week. Without even talking to me, my boss scheduled a guy to bring his mustang to have the racing stripes redone tomorrow. I didn't even get to see the car and don't know what the stripes are like except that they're two wide stripes and it's hood, roof, deck lid, spoiler and both bumpers.

I have knifeless tape and roughly 23 feet of 24 inch wide 751 and I'm wondering if that's going to work.

Thanks. The guy didn't show up today, thank goodness, but those measurements are pretty much what I needed. Hood=104 inch, roof=74, trunk=74. Those 3 alone are 252 inches, leaving me around 24 inches to do both bumpers. It wouldn't have been enough.

Thanks. The guy didn't show up today, thank goodness, but those measurements are pretty much what I needed. Hood=104 inch, roof=74, trunk=74. Those 3 alone are 252 inches, leaving me around 24 inches to do both bumpers. It wouldn't have been enough.

Ya know, if I was a smart man, I might have noticed that 104 inches seemed pretty darn long for a Mustang hood. I got the car in today and

A: contrary to the boss's opinion, it is a convertible, so I don't have to do the roof after all and

B: all the measurements are half what the webpage said. They obviously add both stripes together. I should have noticed that but, hey, at least I have plenty of vinyl.

• Like 2

Well, I finally got time to do it and it turned out ok but I think I'll use wrap vinyl next time. I was a little upset to find out that the place I work doesn't have an eraser wheel and spent two hours trying to get the hood stripe off. That's the first pic. Luckily I borrowed an eraser wheel and zipped the rest off in 10 minutes.

post-29371-0-15187900-1446082629_thumb.j

• Like 2

If it were me and i have done it ,Is i use a digital heat gun on low setting and ive just peeled away the vinyl.Then i actually use wd40 on the residue left over and wipe it off with a non scratch cloth,then come back with Rapid prep for the cleanup for new install.Works perfect for me with no issues.  Ive tried the eraser wheels etc and didnt like the outcome .....But that looks really good . nice job..

Looks good.

Yes I would not have done that without wrap vinyl. I just LOVE the ease of wrapping with Avery SW900  ;D

If it were me and i have done it ,Is i use a digital heat gun on low setting and ive just peeled away the vinyl.Then i actually use wd40 on the residue left over and wipe it off with a non scratch cloth,then come back with Rapid prep for the cleanup for new install.Works perfect for me with no issues.  Ive tried the eraser wheels etc and didnt like the outcome .....But that looks really good . nice job..

That's my preferred method but it wasn't happening, the vinyl was super dried and cracked. The car was an '05 and it must have been factory vinyl or applied soon after. The pile of white stuff on the ground is the few inches of vinyl from the bumper. I'd peel half and inch and it would break. And the bumpers were the easiest panel to do!

Working at a body shop, I'm used to using eraser wheels and they work well for me. But not the disc types, the wide paddle wheel erasers are the only ones I'll use.

post-29371-0-93658100-1446158920_thumb.j

post-29371-0-49928900-1446158992_thumb.j

• Like 1