Sign in to follow this  
Fyrfyghtr

just getting started

Ok i finally got my laserpoint 2 cutter. It took me a while to get it to communicate with the computer. I'm using Sure Cuts A Lot software till I figure out what I'm doing. my main use for this will be cutting 

5 to 10 mil Mylar stencils for airbrushing. is there anything else I will need to buy... Backing mat or such.

You can buy a backing mat and spray adhesive if you are planning to work with loose sheets of mylar or acetate.

Cricut sells some thin, 12x12" (and smaller) mats that work well sold at Jo-Ann and Michael's stores.

I've had decent results with re-positionable spray adhesive... 3m, Krylon, and Elmer's all make them.

For me, the 3m seems to hold well and leave the least residue behind.

Us Cutter also sells reusable (and single use) stencil material that has an adhesive backing already there.

Look on this page and this page of their site for it.

Really, once you develop familiarity with the machine and materials, creating usable Custom stencils and

paint mask are all about applied software skills. Get familiar with some decent vector software.

Adobe Illustrator, Corel, Inkscape, Flexi, VinylMaster, each cover most all the bases with vector.

Have you had success cutting mylar? We have the same machine and it won't cut all the way through (not even close) at 800 pressure settings and the blade all the way exposed. If this has worked for you, can you please offer some perspective on this. Thanks!

We need this machine for our business so we'd really appreciate your help.