TauntDevil

Issue with applying large decals on round surfaces

Hello again all.

I seem to be having a bit of a difficulty applying large decals on more round surfaces. Most hoods and door panels I have worked on were rounded but only vertically rather than horizontally.

Recently I was working on a car that is more ball rounded instead of one direction. When applying the decal, it would crease from trying to bend it against another bend. Was wonder how you all get past this. The decal ended up folding in on itself and I scrapped it. Normally when applying a decal that is large, I tape opposite sides down and peel off one section to make sure it stays where I want it. Then when the one side is done, I will do the other side of the decal. (Works great for doing wall decals too).

As for applying long decals, does anyone get many bubbles when applying the decal even though when the transfer tape is still over it, doesnt exactly show the bubbles? Not sure how I keep getting them when doing bottom sides of cars. Gets quite annoying really.

Thanks in advance!

I apologize as well.

- Taunt

what i learned on that was i made sure the decal was warm (set out in the sun or apply very little heat with a heat gun or blow dryer)  before i applied it and it solved my issue.never had a problem after learning that trick and it didnt affect the vinyl either..

Are you working with cast vinyl / wet app?

651 and water with dishwashing soap. Have to spray a lot down in order for it to last long enough.

what i learned on that was i made sure the decal was warm (set out in the sun or apply very little heat with a heat gun or blow dryer)  before i applied it and it solved my issue.never had a problem after learning that trick and it didnt affect the vinyl either..

I have tried this before but living in AZ, its about 101 currently. The heat usually makes it more difficult to peal the backing paper off so I have noticed. If I remember correctly... Heat = stick more, water/colder = stick less right?

you want a non scented soap if i remember corectly. I thought about the home brew stuff  but was to worried about mixing it wrong and ruining the adhesion so i just use rapid tac app fluid and cleaner...

651 and water with dishwashing soap. Have to spray a lot down in order for it to last long enough.

I have tried this before but living in AZ, its about 101 currently. The heat usually makes it more difficult to peal the backing paper off so I have noticed. If I remember correctly... Heat = stick more, water/colder = stick less right?

The 651 part of the equation is a problem. 651 is more rigid and resists deformation. It is considered a calendered "intermediate" vinyl and is best suited for flat or single dimension curve surfaces.

Cast vinyl like 751 is capable of going over rivets or 2 dimensional curved surfaces. It is inferior only to air-egress vinyl that is used for wrapping, which can handle almost anything.

I would try using 751 anytime you have a significant curve or 2 way curve. With heat and a wet application you should be able to get around almost anything on a car. 

• Like 2

Need at least 751, or other cast material for curves. Makes installation, so much more pleasant. Need some alcohol in your mix too.

• Like 1

I will try 751 next time. I have a ton of 651 because normally I just doo 6-12" automotive decals but everyonce in awhile, someone wants something big.

What about keeping the transfer tape from having a hard time and forming? Going to try Rtape next since I am running out of the tape I have (cant remember brand etc since it was free).

Tried Rapidtac before but out here, it evaperates very quickly. The dish soap stays wet a little longer so far. Works pretty good. Takes a little bit to dry but when dry, sticks great.

Definitely dont want alcohol. When first making this stuff, did that and same issue with Rapidtac, evaporated quickly.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now just need to find some holograph colored vinyl and purchase some 751, should be good to go!

Paper tape, which is necessary to do  a wet app (for most people) is often a little hairy. It likes to wrinkle and takes some getting used to.I use R-tape 4076 RLA, and I think it is pretty good for wet apping.

That being said, every tape has its woes. Personally, most of my problems stem from holding on to pre-made large decals for a long time.

Dish soap can sometimes mess with the adhesion of the decals, but from the sounds of it, you've got a working mix. The "forum" mix I use is 3/4 water + 1/4 Iso Alchohol + few drops of dollar store baby shampoo. I spray on pretty liberally if I know I'm going to be slow. Here in PA/NJ I often have plenty of time.

• Like 1