DNA_Vinyl

Can this part be wrapped?

I want to wrap the bottom half of my  truck in black...but... I have "step side" on my ranger....can this section be wrapped or is it TOOOOO contoured?

p.s. this isn't my truck.

post-72594-0-94993400-1433512025_thumb.j

Can be done if you heat and stretch but dont "overstretch" the vinyl. If it gets to a point where it wont conform anymore or starts to tear you can cut it out and seam in a new piece to fit within the step. There is enough contours in that area to nicely hide the seams so it wont be noticeable. I did a few prerunner trucks with large contoured fiberglass fenders and just worked slowly and used heat to mold the vinyl and post heat when you are done to help "set" the vinyl. Also 3M Primer 94 will help in the round parts of the step where the stretched vinyl will lay. To be honest I would run knife-less tape to seam across the rocker line (great place to hide a horizontal seam) that way you can work the vinyl into the crevice first without affecting the rest of the fender and then continue with the top and rear once the step is finished. 

Would 651 be ok for this?

and that knife-less tape is pretty cool but I want to do it this weekend so I thought I might cut each section.

We'll see.

alrighty...guess who isn't wrapping the bottom of their turck this weekend.

• Like 1

alrighty...guess who isn't wrapping the bottom of their turck this weekend.

lol yeah just wait and get the right stuff. Definately going to want the air release on this so you can play with it a little. Plus the conformity is greater with the Avery SW900 or 3M 1080...just be aware that 3M has been having alot of quality control issues so I would recommend the Avery. Plus you can get some knife-less tape too while you are at it. Nobody wants to have to cut on paint haha. 

• Like 1

If you shop at metrorestyling it isn't too bad...about $10-$12 per ft on a 60" roll. Thats a lot of vinyl for the money. Costs about $650 to wrap an entire full sized truck....the labor intensive install is where the major expense comes from. I can typically make about $1000 ROI from a typical install...not including having to pay an extra set of hands that is. 

I can see what I have laying around. Are you trying to do bumpers and rocker panels? Matte or glossy black? 

Ohhh....ahh...lets go matte black...and no, no bumpers. I thought I would plasti dip the front bumper.

Looks like I would have to order some more of the matte. Probably would need a good 10 feet of material to do all that.

Well....You don't have to order anything on my account....if you have shiny that's fine too. No hurry. I'm broke. LOL....

Hey , how about just tape off the stripe and plasti dip it!  :ph34r:  seen you mentioned doing it to the bumper haha

Hey , how about just tape off the stripe and plasti dip it!  :ph34r:  seen you mentioned doing it to the bumper haha

I'm afraid with that edge right in the middle of the truck it will be a lot easier to peal.